This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

At some point in our lives, most girls have thought that being a boy would be so much easier. You can put less effort into your outfits, and you don’t have to spend as much money on beauty products to get you through your day. This is all probably because of how society puts more pressure on women than men, but this pressure isn’t just based on how women look – it’s about how we act, too.

After a quick Google search, I found that Insider published an article last year that claims the average woman has seven partners while the average man has six. However, not everybody tells the truth about how many people they’ve actually been with, and being in college – where it’s a cesspool for hookups – those numbers seem pretty low.  

As a junior in college, I’ve met girls who are virgins to girls whose body counts are above 20 people – and honestly, their sexual history is nobody’s business but their own. The only thing that matters is that they’re safe. They’re not less of a friend or a worse person based on what they choose to do in their free time. As long as the person is comfortable with their choices, a single number doesn’t define their character.

If you’re lucky, you’ll find someone who loves you no matter what and that number won’t matter to them – so why should it matter to you? Some girls still feel that when their body count increases, it’s bad or shameful for some reason – but with guys, it can have the opposite effect and is something to brag about.

Society has taught guys to be more comfortable being physical, and that it’s something to be proud of; meanwhile, we teach girls the opposite, even today. Girls can be called a “slut” for being sexually active and a “prude” when they don’t want to do anything. While these terms can be used on boys and their actions, they’re most likely reserved to labeling girls.

However, many girls are no longer accepting the stigmas that come with having more than the average number of partners in today’s day and age. Younger people are also more accepting of who you choose to be with, as our generation is arguably more carefree and accepting of people’s choices than the generations before us.

Bottom line: Do whatever you want with whomever you want. Society is starting to care less about what’s been considered the norm and so should you! Everyone has their own body count, and it should only mean something to that person. Live your lives, collegiettes!

Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.