Women Won the 2018 Winter Olympics and It’s Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The Olympics is an amazing event that takes place every few years and unites countries all around the world. Whether it’s the rise of a new star athlete or a change in the political status quo, every game proves to be monumental.

The 2018 Winter Olympics are no exception. More than ever, we’re seeing a diverse line-up of women athletes from all over the world. The demography in this Olympics is incomparable to the first time women were able to compete in the games over 100 years ago. This year’s game is seeing a 50% representation of women – and that’s badass.

Jamaica sent its first ever female bobsled team to the Winter Olympics. Jazmine Fenlator-Victorian, 32, and Carrie Russell, 27, are proudly representing Jamaica in their sport. Whatever the results, their names will surely go down in history.

Erin Jackson, 25, and Maame Biney, 18, will be the first African-American women to qualify for the games in the U.S. female speed skating team. Let’s cheer them on as they skate their way to victory!

Mirai Nagasu, 24, has already made figure skating history as the first American woman to land a triple axel at the Olympics. I mean, seriously, she makes it look so easy!

Great Britain’s Lizzy Yarnold, 29, claimed the gold medal in women’s skeleton. If you don’t know what skeleton is, it’s a pretty terriying sport. Skeleton riders lie belly-down on their sled going up to 80 mph down an ice track. Just let that sink in and imagine doing that over and over AND winning a gold medal for it. Yeah, Yarnold did that.

All of these women are star athletes in their own way. They’re all so diverse in age, background, and culture – yet they are taking over what used to be a male-dominated scene. That’s something to cheer about!

Even if these women and all of the other amazing women in the 2018 Winter Olympics don’t take home a medal, they should know they are still WINNING the history game!

Monica is currently a Junior at Penn State University. She is studying International Media Studies with minors in Women's Studies and Korean Language. She loves traveling, spicy food, and all things Pinterest. If she were an animal, she'd be an alpaca because of her docile, yet goofy nature. Apart from writing for HC, you will most likely find her organizing her room, searching for the next song to obsess over, or pondering her next meal.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.