Why You Should Take Risks In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you’re like me, you might’ve been told that there’s no better time to take risks and to make mistakes than when you’re in college. But like me, you might also be slightly terrified of anything considered risky, or even just something that’s out of your comfort zone. If you are, don’t worry; you’re not alone.

Maybe we feel this way because from a young age, girls are told to “be careful”.  We would tumble, we would climb, we would yell, we would be wild. Or at least we would try to be. Curious young girls across the world are constantly told by well meaning parents to just be careful. Little girls are being taught to side with safety, to remain cautious, and to avoid risks. And it is this advice that, while well meant, might be indirectly affecting our ability to trust ourselves when taking risks today.

I am a notoriously cautious person. “Better safe than sorry” was my longtime motto. Which was fine and dandy until I realized it was holding me back. I refused to try new things, or to meet new people. Because, well, better safe than sorry. But really, I was refusing to live my life. It didn’t matter if something inside of me felt a little bit empty; I told myself that I was just being careful, and that I was far better off for it. But deep down, I knew I wanted an adventure, and with that, I knew that I eventually would have to give myself some room for one. So I did.

Over the summer I was able to live on my own for the first time. Most people get to do this right at the start of their college career, but being a local State College kid, I had to wait until the ripe age of 20. I think waiting that long is part of what made it seem so risky. I had to ask myself: “Am I making a mistake? Is it really worth it? Can I handle living on my own?” This may seem trivial, because really everyone has to move out at some point, and in a way it was a bit trivial. But, I ignored all sense of doubt and followed my gut. I ignored my previously debilitating fear of rejection and I took a leap. I stepped into the unknown, despite my fears – and I am so much braver for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I am still cautious and scared more often than not. But now, when I see the opportunity to take a risk, I can’t just brush it off. I close my eyes, I take a breath, and I try to jump. And let me tell you, the world seems way more exciting when you start looking at what can be done with a little bit of bravery.

So here’s my advice to you: do something risky! Stop holding yourself back. Try a new club, go to a party, apply for an internship, go to the fitness class that sounds super intense, do a study abroad, ask the cute person in your class for their number, or whatever else you might want to do. Because even though you might get rejected, or hurt – you will become brave, and that will make it worth it. Your time spent at college is filled with risks and opportunities, so trust your gut and just jump.

Brittany Sherman is a junior at Penn State, majoring in Criminology with minors in Psychology and Political Science. She is a workaholic, avid TedTalk watcher, and Leslie Knope wannabe. She also makes bomb banana bread, and dreams of casually running into Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.