little women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
little women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Sony
Style

Why “Little Women” is The Best Book to Read in The Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Everyone had their favorite books, and all book lovers know that certain books correspond to specific seasons.

Even if these books do not explicitly mention that it takes place solely in the fall and winter or spring and summer, readers know what the vibe of each book is for them.

There are so many good books that have a springtime vibe. 

The air feels lighter, the sun shines more and the winter cold seems miles away. Springtime is a superior season; people are getting excited about summer while flowers are blooming, trees are getting their leaves back and spring means the end of the semester is near.  

Maybe I’m biased because spring is my favorite season, but the books to read and reread during these months are excellent.

“Little Women” is the ultimate springtime read. 

“Little Women,” by Louisa May Alcott, tells the story of the March sisters. Four girls are navigating adolescence into adulthood in 1800s America. 

The story tells of mundane activities, playing outside, learning an instrument, attending school and liking a boy. But for all girls, it is relatable.

We all remember our first crush, the first time we went on a date and how we used to think about life before we grew up. 

little women?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Sony

As the story progresses and the girls get older, tragedy strikes and they have to deal with the complex parts of life while all their paths lead them in different directions. 

I love it. “Little Women” is a great springtime read because it feels like a coming-of-age while telling the story and hardships of these girls’ lives.

The fresh feeling of being a kid when the weather is nice, being able to go outside and play with your friends. Putting on plays and little shows with your siblings, and the joy of your parents coming home from work every day.

Reading it will be like reliving your childhood and remembering all the sweet moments that seemed minor then. 

If you have sisters, you will also see similarities between yourself and your sister in the characters.

Having a sister is one of the best things; this book accentuates that feeling. Remembering playing dress up together, coming up with games to play, reading books together and wanting to be exactly like your big sister.

Landscape of trees and rainforest in Manaus, Brazil
Original photo by Renata Daou

“Little Women” embodies the feeling of spring sunshine and the newness of life that’s displayed in the blooming flowers and trees. And the way springtime felt as a child. 

There are several movie adaptations of this novel. The 2019 movie version, directed by Greta Gerwig, starring Saoirse Ronan, Timothee Chalamet, Florence Pugh, Larua Dern, Emma Watson and more, is a beautiful story adaptation.

With different lighting displaying the difference in girlhood versus womanhood and the music allowing viewers to feel exactly what the characters are feeling, this adaption is by far my favorite.

I have seen this version 100 times. I own it on every possible service and will even have it on in the background while doing other stuff. 

Reading this book or watching this movie during spring is superior to any other time of year. 1000/10 recommend doing so during this upcoming season.

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.