Why I Regret Not Going To My First THON

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

By far the biggest thing on Penn State’s campus has to be THON. We all walk around and use THON lingo on a day-to-day basis, wear the beanies, the sweaters and the shirts. It’s part of the culture and the best part is, it’s for an amazing cause. We’re here trying to help kids with cancer. When I first came to campus, it was pretty inspiring to see our generation find such passion in helping others, especially since we were considered the generation that was so absorbed in ourselves. We have dozens of clubs dedicated to raising money for the cause and they all line up with their poster boards and creative flyers during Involvement Fairs, trying to get you to join their THON club. I was so overwhelmed when I went to my first Involvement Fair. I think I got back to my dorm holding at least seven different THON club flyers. I told myself I’d go to at least one meeting for all of them and figure out which club I like best.

I never went to any of those club meetings and never joined a group. I always told myself I’d go, but my schedule got busy, exams were happening, projects needed to be done and suddenly we were two-thirds of the way into the semester. At that point, I felt like it was too late to try to get into it.

When THON weekend arrived, people were getting ready. They put on their tutus, their hair bows, their body glitter, fanny packs, Penn State socks, white converse and waited outside of the Bryce Jordan Center for hours. I was completely unaware. My schedule had gotten so busy that THON became something I was peripherally aware of, but not something I was keeping up with or focusing on. I hadn’t really realized THON was happening until halfway through the weekend. I watched the live stream during the rally on the last day and that’s when I realized something else.

I was feeling regret. This was one of the biggest events that brought us Penn State students together for a common cause and I didn’t go to support it. I was not up-to-date on THON but I do support the cause. I wasn’t avidly passionate about the cause, but I understand why it’s important. I know it’s a little crass to admit, but another part of me felt that I should have gone because going to THON is a Penn State experience. It’s something that we can only experience here, at our school, because this is what we are passionate about and THON is one of the biggest things we’re known for. It’s a Penn State experience we should all have at least once.

I’m not saying that everyone has to go to THON, but I think everyone should go at least once. Be a part of something bigger than us and be a part of our Penn State community. Be a part of something bigger because you know it’s going to help other people.

I learned a lot from not going to THON in my freshman year. I don’t think I’ll make that mistake again.  

Photo Credit: 1

Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team. 
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.