Why Girls Wear “Slutty” Costumes For Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Every year, after Halloween is over and the pictures are up on social media, there are always rounds of comments like…

“Wow that skirt is wayyy too short.” 

“She might as well not wear any clothing if she’s going to wear that” 

Or the all-time favorite, “What a slut.”

Yes, there are many girls out there who wear short dresses, or rather, revealing outfits for Halloween. The thing is though… why do you care? Why should you care?

1. It isn’t really your body, so you shouldn’t have a say in what someone else wears.

2. She, as a fully functioning, healthy and conscious human being knows what she’s doing. It is her right and her freedom to wear whatever she wants.

3. Why aren’t men picked on or shamed when/if they wear revealing costumes?

4. Why is a girl automatically a “slut” if she wears something short or shows some skin? How do you know how sexually active she is/is not?

5. Halloween is a time where people are allowed to be anything. If a person chooses to wear something that shows more skin because they want to be someone else for a night, then they are in fact totally in line with the spirit of Halloween. Go them. Don’t put them down for actually celebrating Halloween the way they want to.

6. Society has so many standards for what girls should be, how we should dress and how we should act. A lot of these standards are contradictory to one another. At this point, you just do you, collegiette. If someone judges, let them judge away. As a wise woman once sang, the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

You just have to shake it off.

Don’t let what they say affect what you do and how you dress. Those are all your choices. Do what you want, but most importantly, be proud of your decisions.

Basically, the point is, girls wear “slutty” costumes because we think it looks good on us. Because they’re actually not slutty at all, and we wear them because we want to. But it’s not really your business why we wear them, anyway.

7. Do you, collegiettes. And good luck finding your costumes for Halloween! 

Photo credit: 1

Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team. 
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.