Why “Down to Earth” with Zac Efron is the chillest show on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Season two has been released on Netflix!

The Netflix show which features actor Zac Efron and self proclaimed “wellness expert” Darin Olien premiered on July 10, 2020 amidst the peak of the coronavirus.

Personally, the first season acted as a comfort show during a time where the outside world seemed to be crumbling from the pandemic. With the release of the second season, I can’t help but feel a bit nostalgic as I will be able to watch the show from the comfort of my home again during school break.

In short, the documentary is about Efron and Olien’s adventures around the world and learning about sustainable living in different countries.

During their adventures, Efron and Olien immerse themselves in the culture, try new foods and learn about the Earth.

In the first season, the pair traveled to Iceland, France, Costa Rica, Sardinia, Lima, Puerto Rico, London and Iquitos.

Efron won a Daytime Emmy in 2021 for hosting this show. This was his first nomination for an Emmy.

Efron’s Tweet after winning a Daytime Emmy

If you are someone who aspires to travel around the world and immerse yourself in different cultures this is the show for you.

Not only do you get to experience different countries through the eyes of Efron and Olien but you also learn a little about our planet and how to keep it clean and healthy.

I also feel like it gives an other perspective on Efron as a person. For many Gen Z kids, Efron is associated with his infamous character Troy Bolton from “High School Musical.” But we have grown up just as he has. Seeing him be so passionate about the Earth and traveling in general as an adult is a gentle reminder that we, ourselves, are the future leaders who can make beneficial policy changes to better our world.

Lots of viewers have good things to say about the show such as the “eye-opening” revelations discussed in each episode:

Fans sharing their opinions on the show

In my opinion, it’s really entertaining to see Efron embody this hippie persona saying thing like, “That’s Mother Earth, bro.”

The word “documentary” might throw many people off of the show but I think Efron’s narration is light-hearted thus not forcing a “learning experience” on viewers.

So don’t be repelled!

According to Netflix, the second season is located solely in Australia due to the pandemic. Efron and Olien travel to Sydney, Melbourne, Queensland and more parks around the continent.

Netflix announcing the release of season two

It is stated in this article that the two meet the people working behind the scenes who are fighting against the damages caused by climate change such as the violent wildfires in Australia in 2020.

So what is in store for season two?

1. Meeting members of the Darug tribe
  2. Traveling to the Greater Blue Mountains Area
  3. Witnessing the efforts to rebuild the koala population
  4. Learning about fungi and coral reefs

A “Stream it or Skip it” poll was released by Decider on Twitter on Nov. 13 and many people voted to watch the show, so don’t just take it from me!

Decider poll posted on Twitter

All I have to say is “don’t hate it until you try it.” “Down to Earth” is not only a very lighthearted and fun show but you’ll end up learning a lot about our Earth without even trying.

Hi, my name is Ria! I'm a junior at Penn State University studying Political Science and English.