What’s Happening Between Selena Gomez and Hailey Bieber?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Selena Gomez and Hailey Bieber have taken over my TikTok. Everyone is speculating about the drama coming from Bieber and her friends supposedly shading Gomez.

Fans have always been upset over the downfall of “Jelena” and have been against Hailey for years, wanting the love story of the childhood to reunite, so this latest trend is not too surprising.

This latest surge has come from the beginning of January, after photos of Gomez on a yacht with friends were released. She quickly got hit with hateful comments and body-shaming, and on Jan. 9, Bieber posted a TikTok, which fans assumed was shading Gomez.

Bieber and her friends lip-synced to “And I’m not saying she deserved it, but God’s timing is always right.” Immediately, it was talked about on social media, pitting the two girls against each other and claiming she was enjoying Gomez’s hate.

@ellenacuario

That whole BALDWIN clan needs to go

♬ original sound – Your Funny Unni

Bieber deleted her TikTok and claimed it was just a fun sound, no shade to anyone, but on Feb. 9, Gomez found the above TikTok and commented, saying “It’s OK! I don’t let these things get me down! Be nice to everyone! x.” This lead to more speculation that even Gomez believes it might have been projected towards her and that she was used to the shade.

At the end of February, Gomez posted on TikTok about over-laminating her eyebrows on accident. Then, Bieber’s best friend, Kylie Jenner, posts a photo of her face, typing “this was an accident???” right over her eyebrows. Right after, she posts a facetime screenshot between her, Bieber and both of their brows.

Jenner defends herself by saying she never saw Gomez’s post and fans are making something out of nothing. Gomez responds to Jenner agreeing and proclaiming herself a fan.

With Bieber already under fire, an old video of her gagging at Taylor Swift’s name resurfaced on TikTok. And of course, Gomez and Swift are best friends. Gomez found the video and commented, “So sorry, my best friend is and continues to be one of the best in the game.”

While this was taking place on TikTok, Bieber and Jenner started losing followers and Gomez officially became the most followed woman on Instagram. After the record, she announced she would be taking a break from social media because it’s silly and that she is too old for it.

The “eyebrow shade” was just the tip of the iceberg leading to years of “mean girl” actions against Gomez. Countless videos have appeared on TikTok of incidents such as Justin Bieber and Hailey making fun of Taylor Swift after an eye surgery, leading to more hate from fans of Swift.

Enter Justin Bieber’s mom on Twitter. She tweeted, then liked and unliked a tweet about Gomez going to break, adding fuel to the fire that there is an actual feud happening.

On Feb. 27, Bieber posted an Instagram version of the song “Calm Down” not featuring Gomez, instead of the one she is on.

That’s all of the drama that has happened so far, but there is sure to be more to come. More videos and criticisms of Bieber and her “mean girl behavior” continue to surface on TikTok, in this fan-fueled feud.

Ashley is a freshman at Penn State University majoring in broadcast journalism. In her free time, she loves reading, watching premier league football, obsessing over Harry Styles, and proclaiming her love for Saquon Barkley.