What Your Preferred Planning Method Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Although I haven’t always been super organized, I have grown such an appreciation for planning, especially now that I’m in college. It helps me balance my academics, activities, social life and everything else in between.

My favorite part about planning is how many options there are to choose from. There are so many different mediums to use that can be seamless additions to your routine. You can decide how simple or intensive you want to be, and have find the one that helps you be the most productive.

Here’s what I think your go-to method says about you:

Planner

If you prefer a hard-copy planner, you are an old soul who likes doing things the traditional way. You believe in the saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and you always have your planner ready for any incoming assignment or event.

Sure, you might add stickers and colors to your planner to show off your personality, but you mainly enjoy the clear organization that a printed planner offers. Seeing a full planner either makes you feel super accomplished or super stressed. Regardless, it keeps you on the top of your game, and makes your daily life so much easier.

Bullet Journal

If you use a bullet journal to plan, you are super artistic. You prefer getting to choose how to lay out your spreads, and you love how you can show off your creativity.

You have an eye for aesthetics and probably have a great sense of style. You also might tend to prefer the arts and humanities over STEM related fields, and you want to live your life with the same flexibility your bullet journal offers.

To-Do List

If to-do lists are your go-to for planning, you like to keep things simple. You don’t need the frills of more elaborate planning methods. You would rather focus on getting things done, which is what you do best.

You are efficient in everything you do. You find the best way to accomplish everything, and you love nothing more than the feeling of checking a box after completing a task.

Google Calendar

Google Calendar users love the convenience technology brings to their lives. It’s so much easier to be productive when everything is synced on all devices. You like that you keep track of everything all on your phone, and the Google Calendar app is probably one of your most-used.

You are a perfectionist, and like showing off how busy and productive you are. You might be a fan of time blocking your day, and Google Calendar gives you the perfect platform to do it. You might tend to overdo it, and might be a good idea to add some me-time to your calendar.

Nothing!

You might find that planning does more harm than good. It makes you feel constricted, like it limits your creativity. But that’s perfectly okay, regardless of what others say.

You like living on the edge, and are always up for a spontaneous adventure. You don’t like labels or being put in a box, and you would much rather have the freedom to do what you want, when you want.

There isn’t one superior planning method. The perfect way to plan is the one that fits your needs the best. However you choose to be productive, keep at it and conquer the rest of this semester!

Emma is a junior from Randolph, New Jersey, double majoring in journalism and human development and family studies with a minor in addictions and recovery. When she's not writing you can find her watching "Big Brother," drinking Diet Coke or trying to explain internet drama to her dad.