This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As we enter fall, there are many things to do to get in the spirit of the season. The easiest thing you can do to feel more at home or nostalgic and get into the season is to watch some fall favorites.

If you’re looking for a series to watch to get you in the fall spirit, here is a list.

The obvious choice is “Gilmore Girls.” You can’t go wrong watching this show. It is the epitome of fall and will make you feel nostalgic. 

“Gossip Girl” is a great option, especially season one. It has a very back-to-school vibe and chronologically takes you through the school year. It is drama-packed, and stars fan favorites like Blake Lively and Penn Badgley. 

Speaking of Badgley, he stars in the series “YOU,” which is a great show this October. It is a creepy thriller that follows a stalker who turns into a murderer as the show continues. 

“Freaks and Geeks” can be fun; it’s set in high school, so there’s that back-to-school aspect that makes it feel pretty fall-like. It also features a slew of prominent actors.

Any of the old Disney Channel Halloween episodes are great for getting into the Halloween mood. Usually, once October hits, Disney Plus has its own category for these episodes, so you don’t have to go hunting for them.

Movies that you should watch to get in the spirit are older movies that usually hold some nostalgia. 

“When Harry Met Sally” is a great fall movie, it’s not very Halloween; it’s more autumn in New York. The outfits and the scenery are perfect for fall, and it makes you long for the season. 

Many of the ones I find myself watching every year are the old Disney Channel Original movies I watched growing up or even the premiere of while I was younger.

My favorite Halloween movie from the Disney Channel is the “Halloweentown” movie series. They’re fun and not scary, so they’re perfect for everyone.

Another one that I watch every year is “Girl vs. Monster.” My friends and I always have a movie night with fall food to watch this movie. We all grew up watching it, and it’s just fun every year. 

Aside from Disney Channel shows and movies, I watch “Practical Magic” with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman every year. My sister and I grew up watching this movie and it just reminds me of fall. 

Another must-watch every year is “Hocus Pocus.” It’s been a staple in everyone’s lives for decades. It’s a bit spooky, fun and gives the best October vibes. You can even do a double feature with the sequel on Disney Plus.

As for scary movies that are good to watch in October, I typically watch “Scream,” “Hereditary” and “Insidious.” 

“Scream” is a cult classic that can be a thriller and a jump scare movie if you haven’t seen it, and if you have, it will be a fun movie night where you can get a quick scare in. 

“Hereditary” and “Insidious” are more scary if you don’t like to watch horror movies. They had me covering my eyes and wondering what was going to happen next, but sometimes that can be fun, especially during Halloween. 

People watch many more fall, Halloween movies and shows every year. This list does not even include all the ones I watch, but I find that watching movies and TV makes it easier to feel in the spirit of the season!

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.