This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Well “Swifties,” the day has finally come. Taylor Swift released the re-recorded version of her beloved album, “1989.”

As expected, it did not disappoint. In fact, I consider “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” to be one of my favorite re-recorded albums from Swift (second to “Red (Taylor’s Version)”).

Seriously, the album was everything I was expecting and more. Even though it’s over an hour long, time moved too fast when I was listening to this album to the point where I wished that it would not end.

Though it’s hard to believe, the original “1989” came out in 2014, which means “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” came out almost 10 years after the original release.

A lot can change over the course of a decade, and the same is true for how I perceive Swift’s 1989 era and “1989 (Taylor’s Version).”

When the album first came out I was 11. “Blank Space” was one of my all time favorite songs at that age. Though my favorite song off the album frequently changed (“All You Had To Do Was Stay” at 16 and “Wonderland” with “Wildest Dreams” being one of my favorite Swift songs of all time at 17), I knew I would always view “1989” as a fun album — or so I thought.

There is no doubt in my mind that “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is a fun pop album. However, while listening to it, I disassociated from the original release. I simply listened to “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” as if it was the first time I had ever heard the songs.

Doing this, I was able to listen to the songs’ meanings with new ears. I realized that though the songs have an upbeat and happy on the outside, the meaning of the songs are actually pretty heartbreaking.

Swift is truly a genius as some of her most seemingly “happy songs” are disguised as just that, while in reality they tend to be gut-wrenching.

Take “How You Get The Girl (Taylor’s Version)” for example. The song is cute and catchy, and the title is pretty self- explanatory in regards to what the song is about. However, it is not just a cute little guide on what to do when you wish to get someone, who you miss very much, back in your life.

To me, the entire song seems to be about a heartbroken girl who is playing scenarios in her head where her and her ex are able to reconcile their relationship. The girl (as most us of have been at one time or another) is in delusion about her breakup and has hope that her ex will come back to her.

Swift’s songs on “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” took on a new meaning for me. I’m really grateful that I’m able to get the experience of listening to the album as a new release at age 20.

Don’t get me wrong, “1989” was a staple of my childhood, and I don’t know where I would be today if “Shake it Off” did not play in my mind perpetually during the tougher days in the fifth grade.

However, the way I view “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” as a 20-year-old is no way near how I viewed the album at 11. I’m thankful I can listen to these songs again with fresh ears and relate to them in a way I simply could not nine years ago.

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” shifted my perspective on Swift’s beloved album for the better.

Chelsea Nakhleh is a sophomore at Penn State University studying digital print journalism.