What Happened in Mumbai, India This Past Weekend?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Last weekend, India’s Ambani family opened the Nita Mukesh Ambani Cultural Centre in Mumbai.

The celebration lasted the entire weekend, including major parties and previews of theatre, dance and musical performances according to British Vogue.

The NMACC will act as a space for Indian artists to share their work with the community and will be open to both performers and visitors.

It seems only right then, to invite almost all the A-list celebrities to celebrate the grand opening of this Centre.

So let’s dive into what actually went down this past weekend!

Throughout the weekend, NMACC hosted many types of red carpets similar to the Met Gala, where the outfits were so elegant and bejeweled that celebrity, Jack Wright, joked about being in the capital Panem in “The Hunger Games.”

@jack.wright

thanks for having me panem! cant wait for the 80th annual hunger gamesšŸ’•

ā™¬ Caesar Flickermans the GOAT Theme – Eleanor Ward
TikTok by Wright

What was beautiful about the event was the guests incorporated some Indian fashion within their outfits.

One of my favorites was from Zendaya who always kills it on every red carpet she attends. She wore a sheer, studded blue saree, which is a traditional outfit in India.

Zendaya’s NMACC Sari

To our delight, Tom Holland was also seen on the red carpet alongside his girlfriend.

Priyanka Chopra also made her appearance on the red carpet many times and publicly congratulated the Ambanis. She wore an extravagant outfit to match the aesthetic of the evening.

Chopra congratulating the family

The first night commemorated The Grand Theatre, which seats 2000 people.

Here, they presented a 90-minute performance called “The Great Indian Musical: Civilization to Nation,” which featured many award-winning actresses and actors.

Mumbai also hosted Dior’s Pre-Fall 2023 show in front of The Gateway of India, which hosted artisans from the French house that included Chanakya Atelier.

Dior Pieces That Were Made in India

Gigi Hadid was seen at this event in a beautiful gold saree drape jacket and skirt that was threaded by artisans in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.

Having Hadid wear this outfit that was a collaborative fashion piece shows the thrilling artistry that exists all around India.

On the second night of the opening, guests were able to view the exhibition “India in Fashion,” which showcased traditional Indian dresses and materials worn and used since the 18th century.

The exhibition displayed the foundational inspirations for many high-end artists such as Coco Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent and Christian Dior.

The weekend ended with an inauguration gala dinner served with traditional Indian delicacies.

The dinner seated 900 people and included fun, impromptu performances from Indian actors such as the infamous Shah Rukh Khan and Ranveer Singh.

Singh, Chopra, Hadid, Varun Dhawan and Khan Dancing on Stage

Chopra and Hadid even made appearances on stage while everyone was cheering from the audience.

The weekend was a hit and a success if I do say so myself. It looked like all the celebrities that attended had a great time, and I’m sure they will be talking about the celebration for months.

As a girl who grew up with Hollywood and Bollywood, it warmed me up to see this collaboration of the two industries. I also appreciated this event because it allowed for the world to take in the delicacies, traditions and fashions of India.

Hi, my name is Ria! I'm a junior at Penn State University studying Political Science and English.