This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you constantly look for new TV shows to enjoy. However, whenever someone recommends a show, I have to be in a certain mood to watch it.

So you don’t have to go through the same process, I compiled a list of TV shows to watch when you feel a certain way — happy watching!

When you’re feeling HAPPY

These shows are undeniably happy, and I can’t help but smile every time I watch them. Whether they’re about first love or friendships that will last a lifetime, these shows will make you smile.

“Heartstopper”

“Heartstopper” follows two teens, Nick and Charlie, and their journey of high school love. This show is incredibly sweet and will absolutely make you smile.

charlie and nick in heartstopper season 2 teaser
Netflix
“Young and Hungry”

In this sitcom, financially struggling chef, Gabi, gets her first job as a personal chef for a millionaire. This show is incredibly silly and fun.

“New Girl”

Following a recent break-up, Jessica Day moves in with three guys from an ad on Craigslist. “New Girl” is incredibly funny, witty and will make you happy.

WHEN YOU’RE FEELING DRAMATIC

All of these shows are about lies, secrets and scandals, which is perfect if you’re in the mood for some drama.

“Gossip Girl”

“Gossip Girl” is all about the lives of wealthy Upper East Siders in New York City. Almost every episode includes lies, gossip and friends stabbing each other in the back.

“Outer Banks”

This TV series is about teens living in the Outer Banks and searching for a hidden treasure. There’s a lot of deception, running from the police and lying. It is the perfect show if you want drama.

“Riverdale”

I’m sure a lot of people know how ridiculous “Riverdale” can be. If you’re looking for drama, look no further.

cole sprouse riverdale headerjpg?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
CW
“Dynasty”

Like “Gossip Girl,” this show follows the lives of the incredibly rich Carrington family. With all of the lies and scandals surrounding this family, it is the perfect dramatic TV show.

WHEN YOU’RE FEELING SILLY

I mixed adult cartoons, children’s cartoons and sitcoms together to compile this perfect list of silly TV shows. These shows are incredibly addicting and binge-able because they’re so funny.

“Bob’s Burgers”

This show is incredibly funny, goofy and overall a wonderful watching experience. It follows a family who owns a burger shop.

Watching “Bob’s Burgers” always puts me in a good mood, and it is perfect for casual watching.

“Modern Family”

“Modern Family” centers around three separate households that are all related to one another. This show genuinely has moments that make me laugh out loud.

The entire cast is incredibly hilarious and silly and you really believe you’re watching the lives of real families.

“Gravity Falls”

This cartoon may be for younger audiences, but it is still a great TV show for when you want something fun and casual. “Gravity Falls” is about two twins who go to live with their great uncle in the mysterious Gravity Falls.

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”

This show is about the lives of the cops in the fictional 99th precinct in Brooklyn, New York. The characters are incredibly unique and very funny.

“Total Drama”

This “Survivor”-esque cartoon is surprisingly hilarious and has amazing characters. “Total Drama” is about a reality show following teenage campers doing challenges to try to keep from being voted off the island.

There are multiple seasons of “Total Drama,” so if you love it, you can watch many variations of it.

When you feel like solving a mystery

There comes a time when many of us feel like solving a little mystery. All the shows below are perfect candidates for when you want to put on your detective’s cap.

“Pretty Little Liars”

This incredibly addicting show is about four girls who start getting texts from an anonymous stalker “A” who is threatening to expose all of their secrets. “Pretty Little Liars” is so mysterious and compelling that it’s impossible not to binge it.

“How to Get Away With Murder”

Told in reverse chronological order, “How to Get Away With Murder,” literally starts with a murder caused by law students. Trying to unravel the tale of what happened is exciting and will keep you watching.

“Quantico”

“Quantico” is a show about FBI recruits who go through real-world training. For the main character, Alex, there is a conspiracy to uncover after she is arrested for treason.

This is another reverse-order retelling that is very bingeable.

“Criminal Minds”

This show follows a group of special agents at the FBI’s behavioral analysis unit. “Criminal Minds” is a formulaic crime show that is perfect to watch when you want a one-episode mystery.

When you’re feeling romantic

Sometimes you want a TV show to sweep you off your feet. These TV shows are undeniably romantic and swoon-worthy.

“Bridgerton”

“Bridgerton” is an elegant period piece about young debutantes falling in love based off a book series. Each season centers around a different member of the extensive Bridgerton family, giving you a new romance story every time.

Daphne and Simon from Bridgerton
Shondaland / Netflix
“Young Royals”

“Young Royals” is one of my favorite shows of all time, and it is a perfect example of a show to watch when you want romance.

This show is about a young prince, Wilhelm, and his trials at a new boarding school. There are strict rules for being the prince, but that can’t keep Wilhelm away from one of his classmates, Simon.

“How I Met Your Mother”

Technically this show is a sitcom, but it does center around a group of friends trying to find love. “How I Met Your Mother” is the perfect combination of humor and romance.

When you feel like saving the world

I have to be in the right mood to watch superheroes save the world. But when you feel like you want to see intense fight scenes and justice served, check out these shows.

“Daredevil”

“Daredevil” is about a blind lawyer, Matt Murdock, who is secretly a nighttime vigilante who protects Hell’s Kitchen from crime. This is one of my favorite superhero shows and focuses on much darker themes than other Marvel creations.

“Arrow”

Oliver Queen, after being missing for many years on a deserted island, comes back to his home and becomes a masked vigilante to protect his city from evil. “Arrow” is compelling, exciting and a great superhero show.

“The Mandalorian”

Although the Mandalorian himself is not technically a superhero, he is a bounty hunter who is forced to go on the run to protect a young creature named Grogu. This show is exciting and gives great superhero vibes.

When you feel like delving into a supernatural world

I believe that to immerse yourself in a supernatural TV show you have to be in a very certain mood. However, when that mood strikes, here are the absolute best supernatural TV shows.

“The Vampire Diaries”

After her parents die in a car crash, Elena Gilbert is trying to recover from her loss and grief. When she meets a mysterious new guy at school, Stefan, she starts to suspect there may be vampires in her small town.

I definitely recommend this show to any of my “Twilight” lovers out there.

“Teen Wolf”

When a teen gets bitten by a werewolf in the woods at the beginning of the school year, his life gets turned upside down. “Teen Wolf” has supernatural vibes and a great plot.

“Supernatural”

“Supernatural” is about two brothers, Sam and Dean, who are monster hunters looking for their dad who has mysteriously disappeared. This show is very formulaic and perfect for anyone who wants a spooky TV series.

“Stranger Things”

This show centers around four kids living in Hawkins, Indiana who are investigating the disappearance of their best friend, Will. When they begin to suspect Will’s disappearance is supernatural, they meet a strange girl with telepathic abilities who may be able to help.

With shows perfect for any mood, you hopefully won’t run out of content to watch anytime soon. Happy watching!

Cayla is a third-year student at Penn State University studying Advertising and English. In the future, she hopes to be a fiction novel editor at a publishing company. This is Cayla's first year with Her Campus, but she hopes to write about all things entertainment! She previously worked for Penn State's Daily Collegian as a Performing Arts reporter and Lifestyle reporter. When she isn't writing, Cayla is an avid reader, TV watcher, and movie-goer. She also loves hanging out with her friends and playing board games together.