The Lalapink Lipstick Blue Nails
The Lalapink Lipstick Blue Nails
Her Campus Media

Top 5 Non-Lethal Self Defense Weapons for Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

In today’s world, I have been given several reasons to be paranoid in certain situations. 

Unfortunately, we have been exposed to several cases of random disappearances, an increase in rape violence and human trafficking. Additionally, the demographic of the victims seems to be mostly women, or more specifically, women of color. 

Thus, I have felt a kind of paranoia I have never really experienced before in my life. It presents itself when I am walking alone at night on campus, or simply walking downtown with a bookbag that anyone can use to pull me back. I no longer open the car door without checking the backseat of the car and making sure no one has crept in. 

The fear I have of joining an ever-growing victims list has affected me in more ways than I ever thought it could. However, there are new methods and tools that can be used for self defense or simply to make you feel safer throughout the day. 

Lipstick Stun Guns

Oh don’t mind me, just casually putting on lip sti- BANG! 

The lipstick stun gun can be up to three million volts, but also comes in cute designs and colors. It’s the perfect weapon to carry in a small bag or purse, and it is very fashionable! You can buy it online here.

Stun Gun Flashlight

It seems that the stun gun is a very popular self defense weapon nowadays. This flashy weapon can stun any possible perpetrator, and because it is a flashlight, it may momentarily blind someone depending on their distance. The flashlights also come in different colors and have metal prongs on the end of the light to prevent offenders from attacking you. You can purchase the flashlight here.

Defense Keychain Weapon

The keychain weapon is cat-shaped with pointed ears and a place to grip it properly. The pointed ears are great for self defense as they allow you to deter an attacker or inflict enough pain to make an escape. Plus, they can hold your keys. Purchase it here.

Lipstick Pepper Spray

I guess our defense weapons are usually in the form of makeup products. I’m certainly not complaining. The lipstick pepper spray is just another convenient weapon that can be stored anywhere and is the perfect disguise to catch anyone off guard. You can purchase one here

Mace

Mace is certainly the way to go when it comes to self defence. There doesn’t have to be any cute or fashionable designs to make a product sufficient. Just like regular pepper spray, it can cause a lot of pain in the eyes and can be attached to your keyring. It is a convenient and efficient weapon that I certainly wouldn’t mind carrying around. Learn more about Mace products here.

Kayla Giraud is a sophomore at Penn State University, majoring in Print/Digital Journalism.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.