Wellness

The Top 4 Nap Spots on Penn State’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With the start of the semester coming up, I can already see myself and many others spending too much time at the library or the HUB, hunched over textbooks and glued to Quizlet. Coffee’s convenient effects only last so long, so what am I to do if my apartment is a 15 minute bus ride or 30 minute walk away, and I need some shut-eye? Or how about if I’m between classes the day after a sleepless night? My apartment bed is ideal, but sometimes inconvenient. Here are four cozy places to catch some Z’s on Penn State’s campus.

Pattee Paterno Library

Okay, I could really break this up into 4 separate choices considering how many cozy nooks and crannies there are waiting to be discovered within Penn State’s library. First of all, if you need little to no noise to be able to fall asleep, then quiet spaces within the library are a must – the Harry Potter room is a quiet space with many large, comfy chairs to doze off in. Other than that, the stacks is a relatively quiet space with individual chairs and desks if you don’t mind hunching over for a quick snooze.

Old Main Lawn

With the little bit of warmer weather we still have in the fall, the more time spent with the sun shining and the birds singing, the better. If you want to catch some sun while also catching a few Z’s, the Old Main lawn might just be the perfect place to do that. Grab a towel or use your backpack as a pillow, slip on some shades, and bask in the sun while catching up on some sleep.

The HUB

Although the HUB may be one of the busiest spots on Penn State’s campus, there are a few hidden gems within that would allow for a perfect cat nap between classes. For example, if not already taken, there are large blue chairs up the main stairs in the HUB that are perfect for sprawling out for a short time before recharging with some coffee at the downstairs Starbucks.

The Relaxation Room

Believe it or not, the Intramural building has a “relaxation room” in the Wellness suite, 020, open every day, for the very purpose of relaxing or napping. The room has two biofeedback machines equipped to help you practice breathing exercises and regulate your heart rate, thereby reducing stress levels. On top of that, they have a zen garden, coloring books, light therapy boxes, and many comfy chairs and sofas to relax on or catch up on some sleep. Yeah, I wish I heard of it sooner, too.

Wherever you choose to nap, just remember that getting enough sleep is one of the most important ways to take care of your body and keep it healthy. Happy napping, Penn Staters!

I am currently a senior at Penn State pursuing a degree in Criminology and Sociology. If I'm not running, I'm writing, and if I'm not writing, I'm probably watching true crime TV. Lover of scary movies, spicy foods, and all things Disney.
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.