Starbucks with notes
Starbucks with notes
Original photo by Emma Hogan

Tips and Tricks That Help Me Stay Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With the end of the spring semester approaching, so comes the arrival of next semester and inadvertently: more stress.

Personally, I am the type of person to enter a new semester with resolutions. I like to try and implement different tips and tricks into my daily and weekly activity hoping that it will make organization fun and easy.

Some methods have stuck, and some have barely lasted a day. So, below are my main methods and tips that have aided me in being organized and helped me feel accomplished, as well as less stressed.

PLANNER

Planner, planner, planner!

I cannot stress enough just how much of a life saver my planner has been for me throughout my academic career. In middle school when my teachers would urge me to use the school issues planner, I used to scoffed at them, believing the personal book to be useless.

However, since entering high school and college, I have quickly come to realize that a planner is anything but useless. In fact, I would go as far as to say my planner is personally essential to me.

A thing I love about my planner is how personalized it is to me. I like carefully picking out the design of my planner, as well as choosing what I would prefer the inside of the planner to look like.

There are a seemingly infinite amount of planners to choose from. I also prefer a small planner to a bigger one, as it makes it easiest to carry around.

If you’re a visual person, I implore you to give a planner a try. Being able to see all the assignments/events/tasks of the week laid out clearly help me to understand what days I need to do the most work on, and even helps me to plan out the order of when I will complete the assignments.

However, perhaps my favorite part of having a planner is being able to cross out an assignment I have completed— it is extremely satisfying.

Going to bed early

Trust me, I understand how difficult this one is.

If you’re capable and able to do it, I recommend trying to fall asleep earlier rather than later. Not to sound like a cliche, but sleep and rest is a serious part of our health and help us in every day life. It’s imperative for us to function at our best.

So, it is important to attempt to get an appropriate amount of shut-eye every night.

A tip I recommend with regard to the human function is attempting to go to bed early. I can confirm: the early bird does indeed get the worm.

The earlier one goes to bed, means the earlier one gets up, means the more productive they will be throughout the day. I found that going to bed and waking up early makes me feel more productive and well rested than when I go to bed later.

However, not everyone is a morning person— and that is OK. However, I used to think I wasn’t a morning person until I gave it a try, so I recommend giving it a try to see if this is right for you.

do what makes you happy

I realize this sounds like unhelpful advice, however it’s the truth. To feel well fulfilled, one should try to carve out a bit of “me” time each day. If you’re not making time for the things you love, you’ll only feel dejected and more stressed. So, I recommend making time for the things that make you happy.

Whether that be reading, napping, watching TV, knitting or going to the gym, I implore you to make time for it— you wont regret it.

I hope these tips will help you as well as they helped me. End this semester on a strong foot, you got this!

Chelsea Nakhleh is a sophomore at Penn State University studying digital print journalism.