The Time I Almost Died: My Experience in the Mosh Pit at the Travis Scott Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Okay, so maybe “dying” is a stretch.

But I can tell you that there were some points that I was very close to either passing out or throwing up.

So let me start out by saying this: I had NEVER been in a mosh pit before. I had bought floor seats so my boyfriend and I could go to this concert together because we were both fans of Astroworld, so why not? I had been to a rap concert before and knew they could get rowdy but it was nothing I couldn’t handle.

Oh boy, was I wrong.

I started off the night looking fly. I mean, I wasn’t dressed to the nines with heels and barely any clothes on, but I had my hair done and my makeup looking great, with a nice pair of high-waisted jeans with a crop top. I also had on my Uggs, because why not? I was going to be waiting outside in the cold. Might as well keep my feet warm.

We step inside and have to wait in a couple of lines to get to where we have to go before we’re finally down on the floor. Keep in mind, we got there a little late, so we didn’t have prime real estate seats – right in the front of the stage. We were about maybe six or seven rows back.

We devised a plan once the place started to get a little crazy. Once the crowd started to move, we’d push our way through along with a bunch of other people, and that way, we would be able to see a whole lot more up close. So with that, we waited for the concert to start.

Once Sheck Wes came out, all hell broke loose. I lost my boyfriend in the crowd and he was pushed suddenly to the front while I was all the way in the back. Remember, this was my first time ever being in this kind of situation, so I just sort of started to try and push my way towards where he went.

Except there were at least two super tall guys in front of me, a million elbows in my ribs, about five guys’ hands feeling me up, and my bra being pulled off from the side.

It took all my strength and most of Sheck Wes’ performance to get up to him. Once I did, my heart was a beating mess and my body was sweating in places that I didn’t even know could sweat. I was almost losing my mind. I draped my arms around him and just thanked God that I found him.

His response? “I’m glad you did too. I could barely see you, but hold on tight. Because I don’t know what the hell is going to happen when Travis comes out.”

Oh God. It wasn’t over.

And sure as hell, it wasn’t. The moment his first song started to play, everyone went nuts. It was a constant fight to keep our spot and not get crushed by the thousands of people behind us and the few people to the side elbowing to get closer.

With each passing minute, I could feel air leave my body. My stomach turned queasy with the amount of space I had and I could definitely feel myself close to throwing up a few times, but I held it in. My hair turned into something straight out of the seventies and my body was soaked in sweat by the time the concert was over. I’d like to say I was feeling a little like this during the whole thing:

Thank God I did have my boyfriend there with me because without him, I probably would have been crushed. So if you’re going to a mosh pit, please bring someone you care about and keep them on a leash. That was the only way I legit made it out without any serious injuries besides bruises.  

Safe to say, I won’t be going back to another mosh pit, at least not for someone like Travis. It was an experience, yes, but there’s no way I’m ever going to do that again especially with a bunch of high and drunk college students.

I like your music, bro, but I like my legs to be working more. And since they almost got broken twice last night, I’m just going to buy a normal seat next time.

Except if Bruno Mars comes to Penn State. Then and only then will I get mobbed again.

Alexandra is a senior at Penn State majoring in Digital-Print Journalism in the College of Communications. She is the assistant editor for Her Campus and loves everything else PSU has to offer her. She is involved with the Onward State, and would like to somehow benefit THON. Alex loves to write, sing, bake, and dance around like no one is watching. Alex is known to love her animals, including her cat, Grace, who isa little devil at the same time. Oh, and pizza. She loves pizza like it's her world. Follow her on Instagram for her craziness: allieramos1698
Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team.