THON Prep Series Part 4: Helping Your Dancers Fight for 46, for the Cure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

(Photo: Penn State News)

As THON quickly approaches, dancers are preparing for one of the most exhilarating and physically-taxing events of their lives. They need all the support they can get to make it through this journey. One of the most important parts of helping dancers achieve that is to have your organization join together to lift your dancers’ spirits. THON is a rollercoaster of emotions and feelings, so organizing activities to make your dancer happy and motivated is the best thing to do.  Here are some ways to make your dancer feel loved and inspired during THON weekend:

1. Make Dancer Mail!

(Photo: THON)

If you haven’t made some already, now is a great time to start. Dancer mail gives words of empowerment during THON when the dancers need it the most. It’s fun to write a cute inspirational quote or maybe a funny joke to make them laugh. Make sure to decorate them and make them pretty!

2. Make a banner for your dancers.

(Photo: Omega Phi Alpha)

Have your organization come together and make a banner for your dancers. Write their names and decorate with your org’s name and decorations. You can even write inspirational quotes.

3. Make the stands interactive.

(Photo: Springfield FTK)

Motivation doesn’t have to be limited to the floor. Prepare fun activities for your org and your dancers to do together during THON weekend no matter what. A tradition is to have your dancer pretend that your org is on a rollercoaster and they’re directing it.  Creating chants is another way to get them pumped up.

4. Create a secret dancer survival pack.

(Photo: Bagiva)

Get together and create a survival pack for your dancer. Get a drawstring gym bag and load it up with water guns, tennis balls and any other goodies you can think of for your dancer to pass the time with while also interacting with the kids.

5. Create a memory book for THON weekend.

(Photo: Penn State News)

Gather photos of different events that your org did together throughout the year and give it to them during THON.  They can look through all the memories of the year while they’re at THON and will be inspired. After THON, add the pictures from the unforgettable weekend that is THON 2015: Empower the Dreamers!

We hope you’ve enjoyed our THON Prep Series for THON 2015 and we wish each and every one of you the best this weekend! Happy THON everyone!

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.