THON 2013 Overall: Will Martin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This past month, Will Martin, a communication sciences and disorders major, was named the THON 2013 Overall.  After becoming involved his freshman year on the OPPerations committee, Martin was hooked on the true meaning and message behind THON. After lengthy interviews, Martin was chosen to head the number one student run philanthropy in the country, by last year’s overall, Elaine Tanella, with the help of last year’s THON overall committee. We sat down with Will to get to know him a little better.

HC: How did you get involved in THON?
WM: My friend freshman year told me about the organization, stating it was a great way to get involved on campus. I signed up to become a committee member and was hooked ever since.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about THON weekend?
WM: My favorite part of THON weekend is seeing the families and kids faces throughout the weekend. You know this is something they look forward to all year long.

HC: What was the first position you held in THON?
WM: OPPerations committee member

HC: What’s your best memory from THON thus far?
WM: The set up of THON because the BJC is still quiet in empty, but you can anticipate the excitement and inspirations that will soon fill the building. It is a special feeling.

HC: What are some major changes you’d like to see at THON 2013?
WM: I want to ensure that every student volunteer has the best experience possible. I want to guide students toward all opportunities to get involved for THON via committee’s and organizations. I also want to continue education of pediatric cancer and the showcase the new Hershey Children’s Hospital.

HC: Why do you THON?
WM: I THON for the tiniest heroes who have the strength and courage of a warrior. They are the reason I work each day. They the reason I have dedicated so much to THON.

HC: Plans for the future? 
WM: Attend graduate school to become a speech-language pathologist.