THON 2012 Overall Chair: Elaine Tanella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

You would think being in charge of the largest student-run philanthropy in the world would make you feel constantly pressured and stressed, but Elaine Tanella makes it work. Currently in her fifth year here at Penn State, Elaine maintains exceedingly good efforts for THON 2012, while also balancing her life as a student and a regular 22-year-old. Beyond pursuing a degree in bioengineering with Italian and biology minors, Elaine always finds time for one of her biggest loves—the arts. She loves photography, art  and discovering new music. If you don’t find Elaine in NYC at a concert—she’s from Long Island—try looking in another country. Besides her love for the arts, Elaine loves to travel and cook. Not only is she completely FTK, she’s adventurous, well rounded and down to earth.

HC: Why did you decided to pursue the THON Overall position and what do you hope to bring to the table?
Elaine: Many of our volunteers say that each year you leave THON weekend and you want to do more the next year.  This is why I wanted to apply to be the Overall Chair for 2012. I want to do more for the kids, for the families, for the students and for The Four Diamonds Fund. I want to make THON better for them.  A quote by Mahatma Gandhi really helped serve as an inspiration during the application process, “The future depends on what we do in the present.” It’s a very simple quote, but it helped focus the idea of creating a well-built foundation for THON today, so that THON can have a strong future and continue to provide an amazing experience to the families.

HC: How does it feel being the overall compared to what you expected?
Elaine: It is an extremely humbling experience. Everyday I get to work with dedicated and hardworking individuals on campus, amazing and inspirational families and supporters, to make a difference in the fight against pediatric cancer. I can’t stress how important each of these groups of people are to THON.  

HC: Do you see THON any differently now that you’re the overall?
Elaine: Being in this position has further showed me how extremely important every stakeholder is and how vital they are to THON’s success each year.  Each person makes a difference in THON and the lives of Four Diamonds families. It’s hard to put into words, but THON is just an extremely special cause.  It unites many groups on campus, brings together individuals that may have never met each other before, and most importantly, provides an amazing support network for the Four Diamonds Families.  There’s nothing like it.

HC: Being the THON Overall is a HUGE commitment, how do you balance it with other aspects of your life as a student?
Elaine: Managing time is definitely difficult, but technology makes it a bit easier. Utilizing a calendar that is able to sync with my phone helps me effectively budget my time. Additionally, each year, I’ve found that I become more efficient and better at utilizing my time, despite more involvement in other aspects of student-life. THON is the largest student-run philanthropy, so academics are a very important aspect of what we do. It’s important to prioritize what you want to accomplish each day, and know that time is a precious matter. And, one of the most important things THON has taught me is how important people and relationships with those people are. You just find time for the people and things that you love, and it is more than possible to do so.

HC: How are you planning for THON 2012 to be different than any other year?
Elaine: This year we’re looking to educate our volunteers and to help them understand that THON is making a difference in the life of families today, and families of the future.  We’re trying to educate our volunteer base so they understand cancer, and the innovative research going on at Hershey that is going to help improve treatments and cure rates.
This year for the events themselves, we’re looking to create the best possible experience for the families, spectators and dancers for THON weekend. We want to make sure all people are having a great time in a safe environment.
We’re also hoping to continue to make THON more student-run, provide more opportunities for student involvement and improve the students’ experience with THON overall.

HC: You’re graduating soon, what are your plans or hopes for post-grad life?
Elaine: I hope to be involved in philanthropic activities when I graduate.  THON has taught me that giving back is truly important. I also hope to eventually enter an industry that ultimately helps people.  I am very interested in the medical field.