Five Practices That Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With the first month of 2022 wrapping up, this is typically the time when New Year’s resolutions start to crumble. Whether you believe in setting New Year’s resolutions or not, any time of year is perfect to implement good practices that will change your life. I know these habits changed mine.

Work Breaks into your schedule

Spring semester is in full swing, and my workload is officially on the rise. As a freshman in college, I used to sit down for hours on end, jumping from one task to another until I completed my checklist. Sure, I’d get my work done, but my brain would be so tired that by the end of my list, my achievements felt counterproductive.

I’ve realized that writing breaks, literally or figuratively, into your schedule can make all the difference. Sometimes a break for me is a five-minute period where I’ll stretch, make a snack or just walk away from my desk. Maybe I’ll watch a show or scroll through TikTok. Other times, I’ll round up my friends and we’ll go grocery shopping or grab some lunch.

Whatever break you’re craving, allow yourself to take it. I’ve found that when I suppress the breaks I need, they are all I can think about. My school-life balance feels much healthier now that I allow myself to live a little outside of homework.

Wake up 15-30 minutes earlier than you usually would

I’ll admit, I am a morning person. I love the sunlight and stillness of the morning before the world wakes up. While I do enjoy this time of day, I used to wake up at the last minute and rush to make breakfast, pick out an outfit and get out the door.

Now that my classes are in-person, I have to factor in travel time to class rather than last year’s virtual commute. Each morning, I think of when I need to leave my apartment and then plan backward to the time I should wake up.

Take today for example: I had class at 9:05 a.m. and in order to get there on time, I have to leave at 8:40 a.m. Since breakfast is a meal I never skip, and don’t want to inhale it in five seconds, I like to give myself some time to enjoy it. Today I woke up at 7:40 a.m. This might seem extreme to some, but not only did I savor my oatmeal, I had time to journal, do my skincare and pick out an outfit without rushing.

be active everyday

Before you scroll away from this one, let me clarify what I mean by active. It can be anything from a quick yoga video on YouTube, a walk, going to the gym or simply just taking the stairs rather than the elevator.

On days I didn’t move around much, I noticed significant differences in how I felt. It can certainly be hard to motivate yourself even for a quick stretch when you’re having one of those days, but I always tell myself you never feel worse after a workout. In this case, tell yourself you’ll never feel worse after some movement.

Call your family or loved ones

I can’t emphasize enough how great calling my family has made me feel. I am incredibly grateful to have great relationships with my parents, brother, cousins and all four grandparents. Usually, when I’m walking to or from class, I’ll call any one of my family members to check in on them. While I’m not physically close to them, I feel connected to them through our conversations.

This doesn’t just go for family members. It applies to anyone in your life that you consider to be a loved one or just someone you want to feel more connected to. The beauty of having these conversations is in what you get out of each one. Perhaps one person gives great advice or always has an interesting experience to share. Whatever the case, try making some calls a few times a week and experience the beauty in conversation.

give journaling and reading a try

My mind feels most clear when I journal and read. I find that there are times when I’m aimlessly scrolling online before bed which is never beneficial. I end up tossing and turning for a long time and wake up groggy.

I now keep my journal and book on my nightstand. Since it’s right next to where I plug my phone in, I’m reminded every night to put my thoughts down on paper. I find it therapeutic to write out whatever I want since it’s only for me to see.

As for reading, I find a similar joy in looking at something other than my phone, computer screen or textbooks. I set a goal for myself to read five pages each night. This low bar makes this habit easy to attain, and I often feel more accomplished since I usually end up reading more. I’ve noticed how my sleep and overall attitude have improved from implementing these habits.

Sometimes your life can change through the most simple actions and practices. I hope you’ll give some of these a go and immerse yourself in becoming the best you possible. You are the most important person in your life and you deserve to treat yourself that way.

Anjali grew up in Boston and is currently a freshman at Penn State University studying Economics and Political Science. Her dream job is to work as a lawyer in New York City. You can find her doing pilates, listening to podcasts, or cooking for a post on her food account (@may_i_taste).