The Perfect Songs to Add to Your Rainy Day Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As the painfully slow transition from winter weather into spring begins, the more rainy it gets.

People have differing opinions on rain.Some love it, others not so much.

Personally, I love a good rainy day; I love the aesthetic of it and the fun it brings.

Particularly, I love getting to listen to my favorite songs that give off a rainy weather vibe.

So, below is a list I have complied that help make the rainy day experience more enjoyable— or, if you’re a person who isn’t a fan of rain, hopefully it will make your rainy day a bit less dreary.

“Umbrella” by Rihanna, Jay-Z

This may be a bit predictable but nonetheless “Umbrella” belongs in your perfect rainy day playlist.

Though this song is a bit of an oldie, it has never lost its iconic factor. Also, what’s more appropriate of a rainy day song choice than a song literally titled “Umbrella”?

“MY TEARS ricochet- the long pond studio sessions” by taylor swift

This song is everything.

To me, the imagery screams rainy day. I also adore this song and find in to be beautifully written and performed.

The Long Pond Studio version in particular exudes such a rainy day vibe.

“Thinking of you” by katy perry

This song is a bit sad, but what’s a rainy day playlist without some angst?

This song is perfect for simply walking in the rain and contemplating your life— It adds to the somewhat gloomy mood that is a rainy day.

“Water fountain” by Alec Benjamin

The water imagery in this song create the perfect aesthetic to add to your rainy day playlist.

It’s also a bit of a slow beat to help you relax.

It could also help you take a step back from your day and simply enjoy the beautiful rain.

“Coney island (feat. the national)” by taylor swift

Taylor Swift’s “evermore” is a goldmine for rainy day songs so I recommend hitting shuffle on the album during a rainy day.

However, “coney island” creates a perfect rainy day vibe with its instrumental background and calm lyrics.

“Heat Waves” by glass animals

Though it may see odd to have a song called “Heat Waves” included on a rainy day playlist, trust me— it belongs there.

The beat of this song is a bit at odds with its solemn lyrics, still it only adds to the beauty of the song.

“Roslyn” by bon iver, st. vincent

This song still has the same effect on me as it did to 12-year-old me when I first heard it while watching the iconic “New Moon” movie.

The depressing vibe of the song matches the gloomy weather that usually accompanies a rainy day.

“happier than ever” by billie eilish

This changed the rainy day chill vibe for more of an angry one. Still, this song will only add to your rainy day experience.

“Cinnamon girl” by lana del rey

Let’s be honest, you could shuffle any Lana Del Rey album on a rainy day and the vibe would be immaculate. “Cinnamon Girl” will add the perfect vibes to you playlist.

Don’t forget your umbrella and happy listening!

Chelsea Nakhleh is a sophomore at Penn State University studying digital print journalism.