Football at penn state- kannapell
Football at penn state- kannapell
Original photo by Caroline Kannapell
Wellness > Health

The Best Healthy Eats In State College’s Favorite Restaurants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We can pretend for as long as we want, but let’s face it: humans have not evolved to eat solely from a dining hall. We crave variety and excitement, which can sometimes only be satisfied by an adventure to the downtown restaurant scene.

Too many people often conflate eating out with sacrificing a healthy diet. This is not always the case, especially in State College, where a number of healthy options can be found at any of the most popular restaurants in town. Keep reading to find out which dishes are both exciting and healthy!

Yallah Taco – Rice bowl with blackened chicken

The colorful Mexican restaurant has become almost as much of a symbol of State College as the Nittany Lion itself. Whichever location you choose, if you’re looking for some extra nutrients, choose the rice bowl.

A combination of rice, salsa, corn, lettuce, black beans, queso, cheese, Yallah sauce and your choice of protein, this bowl provides a full spread of vitamins, minerals and amino acids essential for growth and repair. If you’re looking to be extra healthy, choose blackened chicken as your protein to enjoy a low-fat, selenium-rich addition to your bowl.

From @yallahtaco on Instagram
Champs DOWNTOWN – FROSé

As an 18-year-old, my Champs days are still some time away. However, for those who are over 21 and drinking responsibly, opt for the Frosé for a healthier twist.

Comprised of Rosé, fresh strawberries and New Amsterdam Berry, gain some micronutrients from fresh fruits and some antioxidants from the wine.

D.P. Dough – safety zone

Open until 2 a.m., D.P. Dough has been a post frat party staple since its origin. Have you ever been to D.P. Dough with the group health guru? No? Me neither. But it’s safe to assume that their most obvious order would be either the Veggie Zone or the Low Cal Zone, as both are advertised as the menu’s healthier options.

However, D.P. Dough’s Safety Zone beats both the Veggie Zone and the Low Cal Zone on calories, both clocking in at 373 calories per half calzone. Meanwhile, the Safety Zone has 357 calories per half calzone. It also beats them in veggie content, as this zone contains fresh spinach, mushrooms, black olives and garlic, along with mozzarella, ricotta and parmesan for added protein.

From @dpdough on Instagram
Primanti bros – The Original Chicken Salad

Pman’s has become one of the most prolific bars in State College at night and a staple eatery in the day. For a more nutrient-packed twist, choose The Original Chicken Salad.

Mixed greens topped with egg, tomato, cucumber, roasted corn, cheddar cheese and grilled chicken provide a great balance of carbohydrates and protein, while adding some extra vitamins and minerals to your diet.

El jefe’s – Salad Bowl with Camarones

Everyone loves a timeless rivalry: the Packers vs. the Bears, the Red Sox vs. the Yankees, El Jefe’s vs. Yallah Taco. The list goes on, but if you favor the former competitor, here’s how to maximize your nutrients on your next El Jefe’s run.

Order the salad bowl with black beans and Camarones (sauteed shrimp). The lettuce mix provides a base of micronutrients, the black beans provide antioxidants and the shrimp provides a low-calorie protein. Add cold toppings such as red cabbage, cilantro, salsa, onions and jalapenos for added nutritional value.

From @psubarbz on Instagram
Irving’s – CRAZZ PIZZAZZ SMOOTHIE

Bagels and smoothies; what could be better? Irving’s has a special place in every Penn Stater’s heart. On your next visit, check out the Crazz Pizzazz Smoothie.

Made with cranberry juice, raspberries, strawberries and bananas, not only is this a tasty treat but packed with health benefits. Cranberries have gained huge popularity in the health community for their numerous benefits, from improving eyesight to preventing liver disease.

The original waffle shop – GREEK OMELETte

Hungover or not, The Original Waffle Shop has become the most popular place in State College for students to grab breakfast. In keeping with the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet, the Greek Omelette is a great morning option.

With three eggs, feta cheese, fresh spinach and chopped tomatoes, prepare for the day with protein and veggies like a spartan.

From @thewaffleshoppsu on Instagram
Sheetz – GARDEN OF EATIN’ DELI SANDWICH

Pennsylvania staple Sheetz is not well renowned for its healthy eats. However, the Garden of Eatin’ Deli Sandwich may change this reputation.

Made with caramelized onions, cream cheese, cucumbers, fire-roasted peppers, lettuce, fresh mixed greens, multigrain ciabatta bread, Pepper Jack cheese, red onions and tomato slices, this sandwich is packed with vitamins and fiber.

Mcdonald’s – SAUSAGE BURRITO

Though it may surprise you, the nationwide chain McDonald’s has some healthy options. Visit during breakfast time and pick up a sausage burrito.

Consisting of whole eggs, pork, tomatoes, green chilies, onions and American cheese, it’s a great way to start the day with only 310 calories.

webster’s bookstore cafe – SENSE & SENSIBILITY

Webster’s has become the hipster hang-out for every cool kid in town, but browsing records, books and thrifted clothing can be hungry work. Our solution: the Sense & Sensibility wrap from the entirely-vegetarian Bookstore Cafe.

Made with hummus, seasonal vegetables, Ginger Miso dressing and greens, this wrap is incredibly tasty and completely meat-free. For added benefits, choose a side of Kim Chi, a wonderful probiotic that aids gut health.

From @webstersbookscafe on Instagram
Uncle Chen’s – Steamed Shrimp with Mixed Veg

Of course, we couldn’t make this list without including State College’s favorite Chinese. Aside from the best website name of any local restaurant (www.psusuckmyeggroll.com), Uncle Chen’s also boasts a variety of healthy options.

For something simple and low-calorie, choose the Steamed Shrimp with Mixed Veg. Exactly as it says in the name, this dish consists of shrimp, baby corn, broccoli and carrots.

Em is a British-American student studying Public Relations at Penn State University Park. She is a football fan, of both Manchester City and Buffalo Bills.