Wellness

Take Time For Yourself During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As the holiday season is rapidly approaching, we have a lot to be excited about.

For the first time in two years, families and loved ones will be allowed to gather in-person to celebrate and enjoy each other’s company after a long (ongoing) pandemic. While it is so exciting to be back with the ones you love most, the holiday season and family gatherings can also be a time of stress and exhaustion.

Being around all of the people you love for an extended period of time, especially when the world isn’t fully opened up yet, can lead to arguments and fights breaking out. This can leave you feeling overwhelmed and burnt out. Here are some ways to take time for yourself.

Let’s say you are in the middle of a conversation that includes age-old questions and suggestions from relatives such as “What are you going to do after college” and “Really, that’s your major?” Making it through those questions without getting frustrated is an accomplishment of itself, one that has won you some alone time.

With the alone time you have just finessed, try finding a quiet place and watch an episode of your comfort show in order to decompress.

I try to pick a show that is around 20 minutes without ads, such as New Girl or Parks and Recreation. I can just laugh and forget the stress that the holidays have brought me. If you can’t get 20 minutes alone, even just scrolling on TikTok for five minutes should be enough to do the trick. 

If you live by a trail or park, going on a hike or walk is a great way to take time for yourself during the holiday season.

Especially around Thanksgiving, the trees are still bright red and the air is crisp. While it may be a little cold, being around nature is extremely restorative and a great way to relax.

I do some of my best thinking when I’m walking. I have found that one way to survive the holiday season is to make sure that every other day I go on a walk to just breathe in the fresh air. I totally recommend giving this a try this holiday season.

Wearing ripped jeans to a family holiday event is a brave choice. If you manage to make it through without getting any comments about how ripped your jeans are, congratulations.

Unfortunately, most of us who decide to wear ripped jeans will not make it through without some snide comments from family members.

If you receive those snide comments, find some quiet time and engage in some retail therapy. Most stores are having deals because of the holiday season, so you can find those ripped jeans at a cheaper price. You can show up to the next family gathering in a stunning new outfit fueled by your family’s criticisms.

If I am a little short on money, I love to window shop online and pick out pieces so that when I save enough money, I will purchase them.

Lastly, taking a minute to breathe is something that gets me through the holiday season.

Lock yourself in the bathroom, sit there for a second and just breathe to calm yourself down.

You are only human and all humans deserve rest, especially during one of the most stressful seasons of the year. By breathing, you are giving yourself a minute to revitalize so you can go back out there and enjoy the rest of the gathering.

I cannot stress this technique enough and cannot tell you how many times it has saved my life during the holiday season.

We all love our families and getting to see them during the holiday season, but we all know how stressful it can be. Remembering to give yourself a break and relax is so important and is the best way to get through family gatherings to enjoy them the way they are meant to be enjoyed. 

Take time for yourself, collegiettes! 

Reese Bernstein is a senior at Penn State majoring in Psychology with a focus in business. She is from "right outside" of DC in Northern Virginia. Along with writing for Her Campus, Reese is a member of a sorority and occasionally goes to the gym when feeling motivated.