Take Care Of Your Skin This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

In State College, the drying winter winds and lack of sunshine can leave you neglecting your skin in ways you never thought of. It’s easy to bundle up in the winter and forget all about it. Who sees your skin under all those layers, anyways? Well, your skin the largest organ of your body and if it’s not taken care of properly, it you can make you more susceptible to germs and pathogens. Not to mention, having soft and glowing skin makes you more beautiful any time of the year, not just when you’re sporting a bikini.

Exfoliate

There are a lot of benefits to exfoliating. Not only is it good for you, but it also keeps your skin soft and glowing. Removing the dead layers can open your pores to unclog dirt while helping your moisturizer penetrate deeper.

Taking the extra step to exfoliate your skin one to three times a week can make a world of difference and not just for your face. It’s important to scrub your whole body if you want touchable, soft skin. The upper arm, shoulders and feet are usually problem areas where dead skin accumulates. Try a body polish or scrub for maximum results. So get scrubbing and enjoy your new glow!

Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize

You’re at the gym in late February working hard on your spring break bod when you look down at the alligator skin on your exposed legs. We all know keeping our skin hydrated is important, but it can be easy thing to forget until it’s too late. Save your skin before it falls casualty to dryness and cracking.

Make moisturizing part of your daily routine and apply lotion once or twice a day. The best time for this is right after you’ve gotten out of the shower, or after exfoliation while your skin is still damp. For your face, oil-free moisturizers work best for hydrated, but clean skin.

Also, be sure to keep some lotion in your bag for after you wash your hands. Soap can dry out skin, especially when you’re constantly washing your hands during flu season to avoid germs.

Don’t neglect your feet

Every spring when shorts and sandal season rolls around, dry legs and callused feet can be found parading all over campus. Instead of getting a last minute emergency pedicure to avoid being one of these people, save your money and take the time to nurture your tootsies all winter long.

Using a callus remover, such as the Ped-Egg and some foot scrub can make a world of difference, even when used only a couple times a month. Keeping the dry skin off your feet makes them healthier, and makes you happier. Don’t forget the polish! Even though no one can see through your winter socks and boots, you and your toes will appreciate a little TLC.

Try to steer clear of the tanning bed

Most of us know this, yet we still do it anyway. The temptation of beautiful bronze skin can be hard to resist. But, beauty comes at a price when it comes to tanning beds. Not only will it lighten the load in your wallet, but it can come at a serious cost to your health.

To avoid tanning bed temptation, try a spray tan instead. There are some affordable options available at most tanning salons in downtown State College. If that’s not your thing or you’re hesitant to look orange, then try a tinted or self-tanning lotion for your body that will help you slowly darken without a big one-time commitment.

To ad that sun-kissed glow to your face, try using a bronzer with a little bit of shimmer or sparkle in it. This will help light reflect off your face giving your cheeks a tanned, and glowing look. Also, try L’Oreal’s Professional Magic Lumi Highlighter on your cheeks bones, brow bones, and nose to contour your face and highlight it in all the right places.

Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.