This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

In case you haven’t heard of it, “Survivor” is a reality TV show where contestants must balance a variety of physical, mental and social challenges in order to make it to the end and win one million dollars.

Although this may sound like any other reality competition show, “Survivor” has done what many other TV shows fail to do: withstand the test of time.

“Survivor” has been airing since the year 2000 and recently completed its 43rd season with more to come.

So, what is it about “Survivor” that has allowed it to maintain enough of a fanbase to last over 20 years? After watching more than 20 seasons of the show, I believe the answer to that question is the nature and the format of the show itself.

In short, “Survivor” is based around three main components: challenges, tribal councils and the jury.

The challenges occur every few days, and contestants either compete for rewards (food, time with loved ones, etc.) or immunity (contestants can’t be voted out at tribal council).

Tribal council is where contestants go and vote other contestants out, thinning the cast out from between 18-20 to the final three.

The last stage features the final tribal council, where the jury of contestants who were previously voted out get to decide who wins the million dollars and the title of Sole Survivor.

There are other important components thrown into the mix, such as hidden immunity idols and advantages. The biggest challenge is that contestants are in a true survival situation where they have to build shelter, make fire and find food.

As contestants need to maneuver the main three components in order to win, there tends to be a variety of dramatic and entertaining moments throughout each season that occur without much influence from the producers.

Other reality shows, such as “The Bachelor,” struggle with this concept, as sometimes the premise of the show isn’t enough to cause the storylines that will make the show interesting to watch for viewers. Because of this, many reality shows have a lot of obvious producer manipulation, making it seem less organic to viewers.

Most everything interesting that happens in “Survivor” happens because of the basic rules of the game and the format of the show. Whether it’s a funny moment in a challenge or a clever blind-side at a tribal council, each episode has something that keeps viewers engaged.

This is evident as there are many “Survivor” moments and players from a decade ago that watchers can still remember and talk about due to their undeniably iconic nature. If you’re a fan reading this right now, I’m sure you can name at least 10 of these moments that come to mind right away.

If you’re reading this and have never seen an episode of “Survivor,” then this article is your sign to get started. It’s a great show whether you’re looking for something to binge watch or just want a show to have on as background noise.

Trust me, you won’t regret it.

hi! i'm a junior advertising major with minors in photography and dmta at psu:)