This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Packing for study abroad can be extremely overwhelming, especially if you have never been to that location before. Fashion is different in every place you travel to and the last thing you want to do is look like a tourist. 

In all of the study abroad guides, they recommend not wearing athleisure clothes, such as sweatshirts from your school or sweatpants, as it would make you a target to be pick-pocketed. 

When traveling away for four months and only being able to bring one or two suitcases, packing can be stressful. The key to packing successfully for study abroad is getting a lot of staples. These basics are key to having enough outfits to mix and match with by packing as little as possible. Keep in mind, you definitely are going to be shopping there, so pack with room for the clothes you will buy.

I am currently shopping for my study abroad in Milan, Italy, and here are some of the basics I have started to collect.

Turtlenecks

Turtlenecks are a new fashion essential. You can wear them so many different ways. Having one in at least black or white will solve so many outfit dilemmas. You can pair a plain turtleneck with any type of pants, wear it under a sweater, under a dress, with a sweater vest or pretty much anything. They are so cute and so comfortable and definitely a staple to your closet. They will also keep you warm which is a plus.

Black boots

A pair of black booties is definitely essential for studying abroad. If you are going somewhere in Europe, you will most likely be walking on cobblestone streets, so booties will be perfect for walking. They make any outfit feel more put together and they go with absolutely anything. Definitely find a pair of comfortable booties to wear on your adventures abroad! 

Sweaters

Sweaters are a must-have for abroad. They are the perfect combination of comfort and style. They can be paired with anything from skirts to pants. Sweaters will also keep you warm during the cold months! 

Leather pants 

Leather pants are very on-trend right now and are so cute. Personally, I am all for this leather pants trend. They are so classy and always look good. You can get them in pretty much any color, not just the basic black or brown. Leather pants are the perfect way to spice up an outfit abroad. 

Collared shirt 

Collared shirts are also trending in the fashion world right now, especially abroad. They are the perfect way to dress up your outfit without wearing a boring long sleeve shirt. You also can layer collared shirts with sweaters to make it more fun. Collared shirts come in so many different colors, patterns and materials. You can have fun picking them out and wearing them in so many different ways! 

Corduroys

Corduroy everything is so in right now. Corduroy pants are perfect for the fall and winter seasons when you don’t feel like throwing on a pair of jeans. You could also purchase corduroy skirts or jackets which are the perfect staples to your closet. Since corduroys go with so many different outfits, you can’t go wrong with throwing something of this material in your suitcase.

Leather jacket  

When abroad, a leather jacket almost seems like an essential to your wardrobe. Everybody abroad seems to add some type of leather jacket to their wardrobe. They are perfect for doing just about anything and they look good with every outfit. There are so many styles of leather jackets, making it perfect to quickly throw on.

Skirts 

While they are not as trendy in the United States, skirts are a staple outside of the country. When traveling, you will see so many people in skirts with tights. They are the perfect outfit for when you want to dress up a little more. You can get a basic black skirt or a plaid skirt, but I definitely recommend getting some type of skirt for abroad. You can even try a skort! Skirts can be paired with anything from plain shirts to sweaters.

White sneakers 

My last tip is to pack one pair of comfy white sneakers. You won’t be able to wear your running sneakers every day on your coffee run, so investing in one classy pair of sneakers that you love is definitely the way to go. When abroad, you will be doing a lot of walking. Make sure to pack a pair that you could be in for long periods of time. I recommend the color white because it goes with absolutely everything and since you have limited packing room, white is a safe bet.

Basics are a staple, especially when you aren’t allowed to bring your whole closet. You have to pack smart and pack outfits that you can easily mix and match with. Layers are key to packing effectively. Happy travels!

Communications, Sophomore