ADEF6C6C 7B38 46A3 8214 292D9A52EC9CJPEG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ADEF6C6C 7B38 46A3 8214 292D9A52EC9CJPEG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Rachel Feng
Style > Beauty

So You Just Dyed Your Hair, What’s Next?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With the start of the new year, I knew I needed a change. 

So, I decided to dye my hair, which I honestly never thought I would say. I decided to go through with it on a whim and without much consideration — which is very unlike me. 

In turn, it has now left me researching how to treat my colored hair and keep it healthy. Below are a few pieces of advice to keep your look as fresh as possible.

Invest in haircare for specifically color treated hair.

After dying your hair, your hair’s natural chemical balance will be fundamentally changed. It is important to find products that fit what your hair needs. This means avoiding ingredients like sulfates and silicones, which are already very drying. 

This also means looking for a toning shampoo to try and extend that fresh, salon look. For brunettes, a blue shampoo reduces brassy tones. For blondes trying to keep their hair nice and bright, a purple shampoo would be best.

Consider a change to your wash routine.

Again, dying your hair takes a toll on your hair. It is vital to prioritize moisture, and to do this, you might consider shampooing less — or at least opting for a co-wash some days of the week. The more you shampoo, the more your hair color fades. Shampooing less is also beneficial in regulating the natural oils in your scalp to restore your natural hair health. 

A co-wash may be the perfect alternative for those not ready to fully embark on less shampooing. Co-washing allows you to cleanse your hair but with a conditioner, avoiding all of the harsh chemicals in typical shampoos.

Use a hair mask once a week.

To continue prioritizing moisture and restoring your hair after a dye job, consider adding a hair mask to your hair care routine. Pick one day out of the week and really stick to it. You’ll only see true results if you are consistent. 

Look for moisturizing ingredients, preferably natural ones if possible. Avocados, argan oils, and ingredients filled with fats and proteins are what will really make a difference.

When heat styling, make sure to protect your hair!

Avoiding further hair damage is the overall goal here. Heat protection is especially important, and leave-in treatments help mask the hair to do so. They also make your end result look shiny and healthy, which is also what we want. 

My favorites right now are the Amika Supernova cream and really any hair oil to moisturize your ends afterwards. I would recommend The Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. Not only does it smell absolutely amazing, but it adds instant moisturizing shine to your ends and a styled look.

Stay on track with future appointments.

Make sure to visit the salon, and not only for color touch ups, but a general trim to keep your ends nice and free from split ends.

Visiting in two to three months after your first appointment may be ideal to keep up with color maintenance. You can also voice concerns you may have about your look. 

Enjoy your new look, collegiettes! 

I am currently a Junior at Penn State studying Biobehavioral Health. Besides school and writing for Her Campus, I love all kinds of music and am currently learning to play the ukulele! In my free time, I love to play with my dogs as well as watch my favorite shows, New Girl and Glee.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.