Style > Decor

6 Household Plants to Brighten up Your Room this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The cold and dreariness of winter is upon us, and if you’re a plant lover like I am, now is the time to get serious about your plant care. 

Most household plants can be found in your local Trader Joe’s plant section or at a houseware store. 

Here are six low-light plants that are easy to care for to keep your jungle alive during the winter months.

Monstera plants

Monsteras are some of my favorite plants and they match almost any room decor. Requiring low-light and only needing to be watered every one to two weeks, these gems are relatively low maintenance. Just make sure to let the soil dry out between waterings. 

Pair one with your favorite decorative pot and you have yourself a low-maintenance botanical decoration.

Philodendron Plants

These beauties are the best in the hanging plant category and can be found at most stores for under $15. They’re known as some of the easiest houseplants to take care of, since they can thrive in both low-light and high-light settings and are the best year-round houseplant to have. 

These plants require weekly watering, but it can be spaced out more during the winter months.

Snake PLants

Snake plants are luxurious-looking house plants. Whenever I see people who decorate their houses with snake plants, I know they have their life together. While relatively low-maintenance, these plants require a bit more care to keep them looking fresh. 

Snake plants require watering every two weeks and prefer warmer locations, so they thrive during the winter months, just make sure not to leave them by the heater. To keep them looking fresh, the leaves require periodic wiping. 

Pothos plants

Pothos plants, also known as “Devil’s Ivy,” are really cute in hanging planters and grow at a pretty rapid rate. These plants enjoy a variety of environments, from high-light to low-light settings. 

These plants require weekly watering, and more watering is needed during the high-light months. Regardless of the season, these plants are more likely to thrive with occasional leaf mistings to keep them perky. 

Rubber plants

Rubber plants require medium light and will oftentimes stretch out towards the sunlight. They thrive best in 60-70-degree weather. It is important to keep the leaves on this plant moist to keep them from drying out. 

Although these plants require a bit more work, their fun undersides and leaf patterns bring flavor into your room, and are worth the additional effort. 

Succulents

These plants are some of the easiest to take care of, since they require very little water and can thrive in almost any indoor environment. It is just important to make sure the succulent is in a pot with good drainage. 

Succulents take up very little room space, but are the perfect mini treasure to spice up your room with minimal effort. 

Just because the outside plants are bare doesn’t mean that you have to go without a little foliage in your life.

With just a few dollars and a couple of minutes for watering you can make your room the aesthetic plant jungle you have dreamed of. 

Teagan is a third-year student at Penn State studying political science and broadcast journalism with a minor in civic and community engagement. When she is not writing for Her Campus @ PSU she is watching Grey's Anatomy, caring for her plants and hanging out with her roommates.