Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix

Reliving Rory Gilmore’s Romances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s the time of year again where the leaves start changing colors, we add more layers to our outfits and “Gilmore Girls” is queued up on the TV.

While this show is available on Netflix all year round, it feels right to watch it once autumn starts rolling around.

I have watched this show countless times and it only seems to get better with each rewatch.

Considering both Lorelei and Rory’s rollercoaster love lives and luck with men, they’ve had their fair share of broken hearts over the years.

However, I think they have had some amazing connections that were so impactful and helped shape the women they grew to be.

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Let’s start with Dean, Rory’s first boyfriend.

Dean was the definition of a perfect first boyfriend. He was her personal puppy dog, doing anything and everything to put a smile on Rory’s face.

He truly did love Rory for exactly who she was. I could see the glimmer in Dean’s eyes whenever he would look at Rory. They were each other’s first loves.

However, I feel at times Rory took advantage of this behavior and could have treated Dean better. She seemed to take and rarely give back in this relationship. In Rory’s defense, this was her first romantic encounter with a boy and each experience was new to her.

Can we also talk about the car Dean spent months fixing for Rory and gifting her for her birthday? He could he not be a more perfect first boyfriend.

As Dean and Rory grew up and went their other ways, they always maintained a healthy and respectful friendship.

Jess, you’re up next.

Jess was great, but not the one. Jess’s constant protectiveness over Rory was beyond anything we could ever expect from him and a big part of his character.

He humbled Rory when necessary, but always made her feel like the most important girl in the world.

Whether far or near, Jess had Rory’s back and would never let any harm get to her. He truly was her knight and shining armor in disguise.

The disconnect between the two was in the communication with one another. Their passion for each other was so intense, however they could never fully express how they felt about each other and often ended in heated arguments.

Last, but not least… Logan.

Logan was special in my opinion and the one for Rory.

Rory was Logan’s queen, his everything. He held her on the tallest pedestal possible and never allowed for anything or anyone to compare to her.

Their relationship felt real, raw and imperfect, just like how real relationships are.

Logan showed Rory new ways of life, how to enjoy the small things and how to fully live in the moment. They lived life to the fullest and experienced life’s greatest adventures together.

To be honest, I hate how they ended as a relationship. Between the confusing affair, the questions of if she’s pregnant with his baby and him engaged to another girl, it’s all too much.

No one can deny that those three men had a significant impact at different times in Rory’s life. They all added to her outlook on life, what she believes and who she became as she grew older.

Emily Gladu is a fourth-year studying Advertising and Business at Penn State University. In her free time, you will find Emily watching any Philadelphia sports team or catching a flight to her next adventure! She loves to catch up on the latest fashion trends & discover new music!