This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Over the past decade, thrifting as a trendy activity has risen with the help of YouTube. Influencers such as Emma Chamberlain would post “thrift with me” videos, which encouraged viewers to get into the shopping trend themselves. 

THRIFT WITH ME (for the millionth time) by Emma Chamberlain

As more and more people prefer to do their shopping on the internet, many apps over the past decade have taken thrifting online. Particularly due to the pandemic, this became an easy and safe way to thrift from home.

Today, there are many apps to choose from, such as Thredup, Poshmark, Curtsy, Depop and more. They provide spaces for shopping and thrifting lovers alike to buy and sell their used items on their platform. 

However, for those who are not avid thrifters but still want to get a good bargain on their favorite brands, apps such as these can feel overwhelming and hard to navigate. Some people, such as myself, don’t know how to find their favorite stores and styles through the massive variety of clothes offered online. 

Brands are starting to take note of the thrifting app trend and taking it to the next level. 

Companies such as Princess Polly have begun launching their very own resale websites, partnered with these thrifting apps to create webpages for their users to buy and sell clothing specific to their brand. This concept makes it easy for their fans to share their old favorites and give them a new home at a more affordable price. 

Their website makes it easy to list your own items, post pictures, and browse your favorite styles. As the trend is a relatively new concept, Princess Polly has taken it upon themselves to offer a full refund if anything goes wrong in the process. It is a great way for newer or less experienced thrifters to take part.

The most recent to hop on the trend is the minimalistic queen herself — Matilda Djerf.

Djerf, founder of Djerf Avenue, announced in late November 2022 that she launched her very own resale website. 

Djerf has been on the rise in the past year mainly through TikTok and Instagram due to her simple, trendy style and “clean girl” aesthetic. 

After successfully launching her own clothing company in 2019, she is now joining the trend of resale, and fans are ecstatic. Djerf is taking her brand to a whole new level where her “angels” can buy and sell at more affordable prices.

The added element of the option of shopping at a wider variety of prices encourages a larger diversity of consumers to shop and enjoy her high quality styles. Many sites are even including a “like” option, where users can like their favorite styles and see which are the most popular.

This trend is taking thrifting to another level, and is refreshing to see large companies take sustainable actions.

As more companies are slowly joining this trend, we can’t wait to see who’s next!

Happy shopping!

Junior at Penn State University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Business, and Entrepreneurship.