This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

One of many gemstones of wisdom the lovely Serena van der Woodsen bestowed upon us was that  “lipstick lasts longer, but gloss is more fun.” 

We all know girls just want to have fun, but we’re not all working with an Upper East Side budget.

As your resident discount “Gossip Girl,” I’ve got the inside scoop on lipgloss you can find at the drugstore so we can all shine like Constance Billard St. Jude’s golden girl. 

Pixi By Petra Liplift Max Lip Gloss, $14

Packaging: The liplift max comes in a long, thin tube. It’s a clear container so you can see exactly how much product is left. The lid is the pixi signature green. 

Applicator: This gloss has a long handle ending in a slim applicator. It is good for precision in applying the gloss, so you don’t have to worry about overlining your lips with color. 

Formula: The formula is smooth and refreshing. I tried the color “Sheer Rose” which has a soft mauve tint. 

Overall: I loved wearing this gloss. It stayed on throughout the day only wearing off when I ate or drank without a straw. It didn’t feel sticky or tacky on the lips, and the tint helped to elevate my makeup. I prefer a larger applicator, but this one wasn’t my least favorite. 

Rate: 7.5/10

L’Oréal Paris Infallible 8HR Pro Gloss, $9

Packaging: This product comes in a short, thin rectangular tube that tapers in the middle. 

Applicator: The applicator is small and triangular. Like the pixi gloss, this applicator is good for precision, but it feels delicate. I would be worried about breaking the applicator off the wand if I’m not careful enough. 

Formula: This gloss is slightly tacky on the lips and isn’t as moisturizing as I usually want lipglosses to be. It seems to have a slight plumping effect, and true to its name, the formula is long-lasting. I wouldn’t go eight hours without reapplying though. 

Overall: I did like this gloss despite the slightly drying formula. It also emits an oily scent when first opening the tube, but it didn’t bother me while I was wearing it. 

Rate: 6/10

Maybelline New York Lifter Gloss, $7-9

Packaging: The lifter gloss comes in a short and thick rectangular tube. 

Applicator: The applicator for the lifter gloss is wider than the first two glosses. I like the big applicator for lip gloss because I can apply it swiftly and don’t have to dip into the tube multiple times for full coverage. Some may find it to be less precise.

Formula: The formula is smooth and not sticky or tacky. It is more moisturizing than the Infallible 8HR Pro Gloss, but heavier on the lips than the Liplift  Max. I found myself reapplying this gloss three or four times throughout the day. 

Overall: I really like this gloss. The packaging is my favorite out of all the glosses, and I like how smooth it is during application and after. I wish the formula wasn’t so heavy, but it wouldn’t stop me from trying this gloss in other colors. 

Rate: 9/10

e.l.f. Lip Lacquer, $3

Packaging: This product comes in a thin cylindrical tube. It didn’t open as smoothly as the other glosses. I felt like the lid scraped against the sides of the bottle when I untwisted it. 

Applicator: The applicator is similar to the liplift max, but the oval is smaller and doesn’t carry as much product. 

Formula: I was not a fan of this formula. It was sticky and dehydrating. It smelled like the lipglosses you can buy from claire’s. 

Overall: This gloss is my least favorite. I had to dip the applicator into the tube five or six times to get full coverage, and I still didn’t feel like my lips were as glossy as they could be. I still liked the soft shine it gave my lips, and for only $3 this gloss will work just fine in a pinch. 

Rate: 4/10

Milani Keep It Full Nourishing Lip Plumper, $10

Packaging: Milani’s packaging looks high-end. With gold accents on the cylindrical tube, I felt like I was using lipgloss that Serena would have had in her purse. 

Applicator: The applicator for the keep it full gloss is similar to the lifter gloss. It is thick and covers the lips fully in a single dip. 

Formula: I love this formula. It is smooth, refreshing and hydrating. It is a little heavy, but not as heavy as the lifter gloss

Overall: The Keep It Full gloss is my favorite gloss out of the brands I tried. Its applicator was my favorite, and I liked the way it felt on my lips. I didn’t have to reapply the gloss more than twice throughout the day. 

Rate: 9.5/10 

My final evaluation of these glosses is that price is not always an indicator of quality. 

The Pixi By Petra Liplift Max Lip Gloss, Maybelline New York Lifter Gloss and Milani Keep It Full Nourishing Lip Plumper rate just as highly on my list as more expensive glosses from brands like Too Faced, Dior and NARS. 

To anyone thinking of adding a little sparkle and shine to their makeup routine, my top recommendation would be the Milani Keep It Full Nourishing Lip Plumper, and I hope Queen S would approve.

Merrick is a third-year at Penn State double majoring in English and Journalism. In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching sitcoms, scrolling through Pinterest, and hanging out with her cats.