This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

While living in such a populated college town, it would seem that finding a partner in State College would be easy. But, to say the least, it’s abysmal out here.

In desperation, and as a game to play with friends, dating apps fulfill needs beyond matchmaking.

All things considered, here is my official ranking of dating apps to use in State College.

Bumble

At number one is Bumble.

Bumble is one of the few dating apps that require women to make the first move. It provides a chance for women to make choices in the romantic world, which is an opportunity that is not typically offered to women.

From its happy yellow appearance to more detailed conversation prompts, Bumble feels like the app to hit if you are looking for a relationship. Bumble has managed to reduce the hook-up culture in its app while promoting personal relationships between young users.

Bumble is the perfect combination of both Tinder and Hinge.

However, the development team did not stop at romantic matchmaking — students are able to use the app to make friends in the State College area.

Bumble promotes relationships and friendships while still maintaining integrity for the users.

Hinge

Hinge is an app that is “designed to be deleted” according to its marketers, and I couldn’t agree more. While Hinge is designed to promote more personal connections between its users, it does so in the worst way possible.

Hinge relies heavily on conversation prompts and voice recordings when creating the initial profile. This can be seen as a good thing, but as someone who does not wish to be perceived, it is my worst nightmare.

It leaves me to question what is too much information to include in a superficial dating profile and what is not enough.

If you are a user looking for a genuine adult connection, Hinge is definitely the app for you. However, the majority of Hinge users do not fall into the college age range.

While age is just a number, it is a difficult hurdle to jump over when looking for a Penn State connection.

Tinder

This one is for my non-committers. If you are looking for love, stay far away from this app.

However, if you’re looking for a sneaky link or someone to casually talk to, this is the app for you. Tinder is one of the most highly used dating apps on the market, but it is designed mainly for hookups.

With such high app usage, it is easy to find almost anyone’s profile on the app, which can be a fun game to play with friends.

Tinder is an embodiment of no strings attached when it comes to college users.

Having new safety features and being able to see most Penn Staters on the app, it is the perfect app to kick off a new semester. Just be careful of the fire notification icon in public.

Whichever app you choose, have a fruitful, hot girl start to the new year.

Teagan is a third-year student at Penn State studying political science and broadcast journalism with a minor in civic and community engagement. When she is not writing for Her Campus @ PSU she is watching Grey's Anatomy, caring for her plants and hanging out with her roommates.