This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times; as a student at Penn State that is. It felt like I was a freshman just yesterday and now I’ve graduated. To be honest, there were times when I didn’t think I would make it this far. I felt my motivation waning after sophomore year, when the all-nighters were getting too overwhelming and the double shot of espresso weren’t doing their job. I don’t want to say that I simply “survived” my four years here, but that I’ve grown and improved. I mean, I procrastinated my homework assignments until the very end and I was 40 minutes late to my last class ever, but no one is perfect.

I’m not really good with writing sentimental stories about my experiences, so I’ll just wing it. I went to Penn State Schuylkill for the first two years before transferring up to University Park. Penn State wasn’t my first choice, and I was hesitant to be so far from home, however it all worked out. I was drawn to the family vibe of the campus and how enthusiastic everyone was. Ironically, I used to tell my mom that I would never live in Pennsylvania because of how rural and cold it is (my mom still teases me about this today).I was able to experience being independent and learning how to make decisions on my own. I indulged in a lot of campus mischief, which I don’t have to explain in this article *wink wink*. I met people from all walks of life and picked up the lingo from different areas that I now use in my everyday language, my favorite being “jawn.” I also learned that people owe you nothing, and it’s up to you to live your best life and take charge of your own happiness. I had to learn that the hard way. I gained some friends along the way and lost some as well. I had to distinguish the real from the fake, and endured some emotional and personal hardships that almost jeopardized my college career. I also experienced immense tragedy since arriving at Penn State. I lost three out of four of my grandparents in the span of three years. There were moments when I was angry, troubled and depressed, but I searched deep inside myself to carry on. I developed a resolve to finish the semester strong, deciding that I worked too hard to give up.

This drive and determination helped me accomplish many things. I am graduating Magna Cum Laude, I did five internships throughout my time here, I filmed a few documentaries, and I’m in two honors societies. I usually don’t like discussing my accolades, but I am proud of my achievements and hope to succeed in the professional world. I’m still looking for a job (Indeed and Linkedin are currently one of the many tabs on my laptop) and hopefully, I’ll find one soon. I’m still a work-in-progress and even though I know “adulting” is inevitable. I’m elated that school is finally done. Gone are the days that I have to pound away the keys on my laptop, trying to submit a paper before the 11:59 deadline, the days when I had to make sure the batteries in my clicker worked so I could actually answer the questions, and the days when I had to calm my anxiety during class presentations. Senioritis definitely hit me like a ton of bricks, and it’s not the same senioritis that I had in high school, it’s the senioritis that comes with 16 years of schooling under your belt.  On a positive note, I’m definitely going to miss lounging around in the Hub, gorging on Chic fil A while waiting for my classes to start. I’m going to miss the late night bar crawls with friends, and I’m going to miss going to the games and screaming “We Are!” until my lungs burned. I’m always going to have a special place in my heart for Penn State. It’s culture and school spirit is unrivaled. I’m also happy that a jersey girl like me got to experience being away from home. It feels strange having to adult now and encounter this “real world,” but I excited to see what the future has in store.

Although the chapter of this book is closed and I am embarking on a new one, I can’t wait to come back as an alumni. I want to finish this monologue with a Game of Thrones quote, and that is “what is dead may never die.” Peace out PSU it’s been real!

Alexis is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism at Penn State. She loves writing poetry and reading a novel (as long as it's not romance).
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.