PSA for PSU: Please Don’t Hit Someone Riding Your Bike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With the return to school comes a return of about 46,000 students to the University Park campus of Penn State. This return brings the use of the environmentally friendly, quick-transportation solution of bicycles on the roads.

If you are walking on campus or downtown, chances are you will see someone riding their bike. There is also a possibility that someone riding their bike is violating Bicycle Safety Laws which puts both themselves and surrounding drivers or pedestrians in danger.

Earlier this month I was riding in a car when a bike rider passed in front of the car without glancing or giving us the proper signal. Luckily the driver was able to hit the brakes in time and give the rider room to cross, but if it was a second later it could have been an accident.

I have also witnessed multiple times as a pedestrian walking on the sidewalk where a bike rider almost hit me or another person.

After this incident I talked with some of my friends, explaining that I was shocked more people did not know the basics of road safety when it comes to riding your bike. In high school I was taught and tested on bicycle safety laws thanks to one of my physical education teachers, but I was not aware that was not a universal experience for everyone.

Because of the lack of designated bike trails around campus, students who choose to ride their bikes or one of the 300 Spin e-bikes should take the time to review the PA Bicycle Laws and bicycle safety for their own protection and to be courteous to others.

Here are a few of the guidelines from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation that are useful to know when riding around campus and downtown State College.

Hand and Arm Signals

Hand and arm signals are important whether you are riding on the road or choosing to take your bike on the sidewalk. And luckily, they are intuitive and easy to remember.

If you are turning left extend your left hand and arm horizontally. If you are turning right do the same thing with your right arm. If you are planning on stopping or slowing down, extend your left hand and arm downward.

If you are riding on the sidewalk behind a pedestrian, it is safe to signal to them that you are behind and intend to pass them. Simply shout “on your left” or “on your right” and make sure they relay some sort of acknowledgment before you try to pass them.

Riding on the Sidewalk

If you are on the sidewalk and coming up behind a pedestrian and you are riding on the sidewalk, the pedestrian has the right of way.

If you approach a crosswalk while on the sidewalk, vehicles are not expected to yield to you because you are considered a vehicle while riding your bike. If you get off your bike and walk it across the crosswalk, you are now considered a pedestrian.

This is also just a safer practice in general when approaching intersections while riding a bike.

Bike at Penn State
Original photo by Macy Miskiewicz

According to CentreBike.org, there were 23 total crashes from 2021 to 2022 involving bike riders. Although this may seem like a small number compared to the grand scheme of things, bike safety awareness can help lower this number and prevent future incidents from occurring.

The concern for unsafe bikers on Penn State’s campus is not new. The Daily Collegian, an independent newspaper that is published by Penn State students, has written several articles concerning biker safety in the past.

Penn State has also implemented the Bike Den to the ground-level of the West Deck to promote the bicycle community on campus including hosting a workshop about bike safety.

Even if you do not choose to ride a bike on campus or downtown, knowing and understanding bicycle safety laws can benefit everyone commuting around Penn State.

Sydney is a senior at Penn State University majoring in Telecommunications with a minor in Digital Media Trends & Analytics. In her free time, she enjoys reading, trying new recipes, sports, and discovering new places to visit.