President of the Penn State Panhellenic Council Abby Renko

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Can you even fathom being in charge of an organization that governs close to 4,000 active members? Well, some serious props to President of the Penn State Panhellenic Council Abby Renko because that is just what she does. Abby oversees all operations of the sororities here at Penn State, and you’re going to want to hold on to your Starbucks as you read exactly what she does as president, her future goals for Panhel and her views on sorority women.

HC: Why did you initially decide to join a sorority?

AR: I went to a very small private high school, so I never really had the option of having a large group of girl friends. And I knew once I came to such a large school that I would want to find ways to make the campus and overall environment less intimidating. I’m from Maryland, and so many of my friends from high school went to Southern colleges and had great experiences rushing sororities there. After hearing their positive experiences, I planned to do the same.

HC: Can you tell our readers what exactly Penn State Panhellenic Council does?

AR: The Penn State Panhellenic Council is the overall governing body of 18 NPC (National Panhellenic Conference) chapters and three associate chapters on campus – essentially, we oversee the operations of these chapters. In addition to fostering sisterhood amongst chapter members, we also provide opportunities for leadership development, scholarship, philanthropy, community service and personal growth to our members. We are the largest women’s student organization on campus, with nearly 4,000 active members!

HC: What made you want to become the President of Panhel, and what has your involvement been like?

AR: I served on the Executive Board of my own sorority for two years and really enjoyed having the leadership position, so I had planned to run for a position on the Panhellenic Executive Board for a while. I didn’t truly consider running for president until a few weeks before elections. Looking back, I’m so happy that I made the decision to run. It has been an incredible experience – definitely a huge time commitment and a lot of unforeseen responsibility. But if I could go back and do it all again, I would. The leaders within the sororities I have had the pleasure of working with throughout the year are truly incredible, and I feel lucky to have been offered an opportunity to get to know them better and support their chapters as best as I can. I will also be forever grateful for this experience, as it introduced me to many other incredible student leaders and administrators whom I likely never would have interacted with had it not have been for this position. 

HC: What is the biggest challenge of being president of such an influential organization?

AR: This is a tough one. I think one of the most challenging aspects is recognizing your influence without abusing or misusing it. As I mentioned before, we are the largest women’s organization on campus, yet our members are far from the only individuals on this campus who are affected by our policies and decisions as young women and responsible adults. I have definitely become more open to differences, and I am not afraid to voice my opinion even if it is in the minority – this was something I initially struggled with when I became president. At the end of the day, you need to be able to recognize the wants and needs of your own members while also serving as a liaison between your organizations, administration and the community to compromise and move forward as a united front.

HC: Do you have any major goals in store for Panhel’s future?

AR: I think, as a community, we have a huge opportunity to participate actively in the University’s Bystander Intervention Program and continue to minimize issues of risk management to ensure the safety of our members. Additionally, I hope that all four Greek Councils can continue to move towards a more united front, not only on policy issues, but also in terms of programming and other events. I also hope that the community will continue to promote scholarship and recognize women who are involved heavily on campus, not only in their sororities, but also in other organizations and initiatives.

HC: What is your favorite part about having a major influence in such an important organization like Panhel?

AR: By far, my favorite part has been the relationships I am able to build with so many amazing women and leaders on campus whom I may have never interacted with or even met if I did not assume this position. Since I was on my Executive Board for two years, I understand where chapter officers are coming from and can empathize with them about many issues. I think it is an honor to be able to serve as a support system for them as they strive to better their chapters and encourage their members to be better students, friends and contributing members of society.

HC: There is such a stigma surrounding Greek life that many people place negative stereotypes on sorority women. Can you give us the inside scoop on what sorority women and sororities are truly about?

AR: Being a part of a sorority is meant to enhance one’s undergraduate experience. It gives women the opportunity to make lifelong friendships based on shared values and interests while affording them the responsibility and accountability associated with being a part of something larger than any one individual. When you join a sorority, you are held to a certain standard and are expected to fulfill certain requirements. However, along with those standards comes a plethora of opportunity in leadership, service and philanthropy while building lifelong relationships.

Hearing negative stereotypes about women in sororities used to infuriate me. Though it still definitely pushes my buttons the wrong way, I have learned over time to dismiss ignorant remarks. We often discuss as a society the flaw in expecting individuals to classify themselves by one race, one ethnicity, one country of origin, etc. So doesn’t it seem rather contradictory to make assumptions about a woman based on one piece of her identity, on one organization in which she has elected to seek membership? Yes, I belong to a sorority, and I am proud to wear my letters. But that is only part of my persona as a woman and an undergraduate student. If someone is unwilling to look past that one piece that reflects poorly on their character, not mine. 

HC: What is your advice to women who are considering joining a sorority?

AR: Go for it! The recruitment process is very tiring, can seem intimidating and draining at times, but I can assure you that it will be worth it. One of the many great things about this university is that there are so many different clubs and organizations to consider joining. Even though there are many individuals who choose to become extremely involved in their sorority or fraternity, being in Greek life does not have to completely define your undergraduate experience – it is what you make of it. And I can tell you from my experience that it’s worth the effort!

Jessie is a Pennsylvania State University alumna. During Jessie's time at Her Campus at Penn State, she served as the vice president/head editor, social media chairwoman and a contributing writer. Aside from Her Campus, Jessie is a founding sister of the sorority ΦΣΣ: Beta Eta chapter and served as a business team member and social media chairwoman for the Penn State yearbook, La Vie. In her free time, Jessie indulges in her guilty pleasure, "The Bachelor" and enjoys a healthy feminist rant while aiming to destroy the patriarchy one female empowerment article at a time.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.