President of GenFKD Emily Pirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As intelligent as we’ve become through the education of this brilliant university, when it comes to political knowledge and financial smarts, it’s safe to say we could all use a lesson or two. Our Campus Celebrity this week leads an organization that has taken on the responsibility to teach these lessons to Penn State students in hopes that they will feel more comfortable discussing important issues and tackling the real world all on their own. 

Name: Emily Pirt

Year: Junior

Major: Public relations & French

HC: So what exactly is GenFKD?

EP: GenFKD is a national organization that was chartered on campus this year. The club stands for Generation Financial Knowledge Development, and our goal is to educate millennials about self-sufficiency, finance and the economy. The organization is run by millennials FOR millennials, so we break down the political jargon and make these concepts approachable for the everyday college student. 

HC: What made you want to get involved in such an organization?

EP: I wanted to get involved with GenFKD because I wanted to learn more about finance and the economy. Before joining GenFKD as a campus fellow, I didn’t even know how to write a check, and I wasn’t stellar in Econ 102 either. Now I’m able to hold an intelligent conversation with adults about the economy, and I was even able to figure out my student loans by myself this summer. I wanted to be a part of GenFKD so I could teach other students that you don’t have to be a business major to understand these concepts.

HC: Why should others join and how can they get involved?

EP: I highly encourage students to join GenFKD because the club is a great way to get answers to all those real world “adult” questions you were too scared to ask or never taught in high school. GenFKD is run on a peer-to-peer basis; I’m there to learn about these concepts as much as you’re there to learn from me! GenFKD has meetings every other Monday at 7 p.m. At our meetings, we learn about a different financial or economic concept and talk about how we can broaden our reach on campus. Another large part of our mission is to plan one large, campus-wide event per semester. Right now we’re in the midst of planning an event for next semester called, “Oppression to Opportunity” that focuses on economic inequality in race and gender in the workforce. If you’re interested in joining GenFKD, you can email me at emilypirt@gmail.com to be added to the listserv.

HC: We hear you’re involved in the leadership of a number of different organizations on campus. What’s your favorite part about being a student leader?

EP: I’m very fortunate for the opportunity to be a student leader in other organizations at Penn State. I think what draws me to these positions is my passion for the organizations. I enjoy getting more involved in the behind-the-scenes work and being able to see the final product at the end of the day. I honestly just love what I do and want to devote more time to bettering the club and helping younger members in any way I can! 

HC: Moving forward, what’s your biggest goal for GenFKD?

EP: Moving forward, I would love to see membership within GenFKD grow. My ultimate goal is to make Penn State a financially literate, economically savvy campus.

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.