pole dance landscape
pole dance landscape
Original photo by rafaela pontes
Wellness

Pole Dance Changed My Relationship With My Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This article discusses body image issues, which might be triggering to some people.

One of my best friends started taking pole dance lessons a few months ago. She constantly posted pictures and videos on social media, she kept texting our group chat about how much she loved it and saying my other friends and I should also try it.

So when I went home for the summer, I did an experimental class with her. I instantly fell in love with it.

I have never been the most athletic person. In fact, I’ve always struggled to find a physical activity I didn’t hate. I tried everything in the book: soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, yoga, swimming and many others, but I never found anything that I could commit to for more than a few weeks. That was before I tried pole dancing.

My body wasn’t used to exercising I didn’t have any strength to hold myself up (which is something I’m still working on), and the few moves I was able to perform enchanted me.

Throughout the summer, I went to classes once or twice a week. I built my strength, learned new moves and developed a new, healthier relationship with my body.

pole dance
Original photo by rafaela pontes

The most fascinating aspect of pole dancing is that it doesn’t only serve as a physical activity — it is also a huge confidence booster.

Like many young college-age women, I haven’t always had the best relationship with my body. I’ve struggled with my body image and not liking what I saw in the mirror, which was made worse by comparing myself to other people.

I’m not going to say these issues are gone, as it is something I am constantly working on. But I can say that pole dancing significantly improved my relationship with my body and self-love.

Every time I went to my lessons, I saw women of different ages, shapes and sizes doing amazing, graceful moves. In addition, I was lucky to find a studio where everyone was supportive and provided great confidence boosters at every lesson.

Though pole dancing isn’t something sexual in its nature, the choreographies we did in class could be seen as sensual. However, we didn’t show it to anyone else — we did it to ourselves. With colorful LED lights setting the mood and making us feel like the sexiest women alive, and we did it for ourselves.

It was an even bigger boost whenever I managed to do a move I have been struggling with, for example. Taking classes with one of my best friends was another positive aspect: we would encourage each other and hype each other up every time.

pole dance
Original photo by rafaela pontes

I’m back in my college town and there aren’t any pole studios nearby, but I got a pole for my apartment and I’m practicing by myself now (though not as often as I would like) — before I have never liked a sport enough to practice on my own.

I can already feel a difference in my body. I don’t know if it’s a visible difference per se, but I feel stronger and more comfortable with the way I look in the mirror.

My point is: every woman should try pole dancing at least once. It’s a great workout and it can improve your relationship with your body. As I mentioned, I wasn’t an athletic person before, but now, I love this particular activity and I can’t imagine not doing it anymore.

Rafaela (she/her) is a senior at Penn State, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Journalism and Sports Studies. She spends too much time listening to Taylor Swift and reading romance novels.