This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We all know that one girl who has a tendency to get along better with guys as opposed to girls. Maybe she has a guy best friend like Haley James and Lucas Scott, or maybe she has a large circle of friends, but the guy-to-girl ratio is skewed more densely towards male friends. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being “that girl,” but it is not okay to be judged for it.

I have been in group situations where “that girl” can be classified as a girl that gets around a lot, or that she chooses her friends like that for attention seeking purposes. However, as a girl that gets along better with guys the majority of the time, I can say that that’s usually not the case.

I have a lot of girl friends and I have a lot of guy friends, and I have never chosen my friends based off of gender. I think that sometimes there’s a vibe that is met in order to produce lasting friendships. I believe that my vibe is more chill and laid back. I enjoy staying in just as much as I enjoy going out, and I have found the same kind of vibe in both male and female friendships. However, I have found this vibe more on the male side, and I don’t know if that is some biological thing or what, so I’m not going to pretend like I know why that is.

It isn’t fair to judge someone based off of their friend group, and I don’t think that there is ever a reason to classify someone as “that girl”. If “that girl” gets along better with guys, then that doesn’t classify her as a whore. It classifies her as being friends with who she wants to be friends with. If “that girl” gets along better with girls, then the previous follows suit. I think its time that we kill the stigma of girls getting along better with guys, and start appreciating being friends with people of different genders, different backgrounds and different ethnicities. Judgement is the lamest thing that this world has to offer, so maybe if we stop judging we can make the world a little less lame.

Junior at Pennsylvania State University, Journalism major, Class of 2020