This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Have you ever wondered who selects the music played during football games at Beaver Stadium? When he’s not busy preparing for game day, you can find him hosting his morning radio show on B94.5 All-Hit Radio.  PJ Mullen is not only the sound but also the voice of Happy Valley.

HC: You wear many different hats in the Penn State community, ranging from Production Director at B94.5 to Audio Engineer at Beaver Stadium. Which is your favorite and why?

PJ: I love all of my jobs with the radio stations, Penn State Athletics, The Spikes, WPSU, teaching etc.! The morning show I host at B94.5 has definitely opened the floodgates to so many opportunities and  has helped me meet so many great people in this area.  The “coolest” job I have is running the music at Beaver Stadium. Who WOULDN’T want to press play and then watch 107,000 people sing “Sweet Caroline” at the top of their lungs?

HC: We hear you teach a communications class at Penn State (and we also hear you bring them free pizza from Rotelli’s.) What class do you teach, and where’s our pizza?

PJ: Haha… yes I teach COMM 360 at Penn State (introduction to radio reporting and audio editing) and yes my sections get pizza from Rotelli whenever the Philadelphia Eagles actually win ( you would be surprised how many Steelers fans I turned into Eagles fans this semester).

HC: You’ve had the opportunity to interview many celebrities on-air over the years. Who was your favorite and why?

PJ: We get to talk to all of the big name acts coming through the BJC and a ton of professional athletes…from Jay-Z to Snooki, we’ve interviewed them all! but the most inspiring person I have had the honor of interviewing would be Sargeant Adam Hartswick, our local hometown hero. This is a young guy in his early 20s from our community that went and fought for our country, watched multiple people die in front of him and put his life on the line to save them/fight for us. He recently lost both of his legs in war after a bomb blew up a patch of Afghanistan. He told us his story and his amazing road to recovery for his brothers he lost.

HC: Can you tell us about the internship programs you run at B94.5, Eagle 98.7 and WOWY 97.1? If someone was interested in applying for an internship, how should they go about it?

PJ: We run the best internship in town… you learn marketing, sales, imaging, how to deal with clients/listeners, production and how to host and produce a morning show. I couldn’t do it without my amazing staff! Everyone that comes through our system learns the importance of networking both within our company (people who have come and gone) and with anyone they come in contact with throughout the semester (coaches, bands, artists, local business owners, marketing directors etc.). We have become the bridge between the Penn State Community and the people of Centre County. If students are interested in an internship with us, they can email me directly at B945Live@gmail.com and send a resume/cover letter (we ONLY accept creative people!).

HC: Wrecking Ball vs. Wrecking Ball, are you team Miley or Springsteen?

PJ: Miley Cyrus IS a wrecking ball… Bruce is just a straight up BOSS! BRUUUUUUUUUUCE all the way. 

Rachel Elman is currently a senior at Penn State University majoring in public relations and minoring in international studies. She recently returned from a semester abroad studying at the University of Sydney, Australia. Rachel plans to become a publicist in the entertainment industry. Follow her journey at @RachelElman on Twitter and Instagram!
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.