Wellness > Health

Penn State is Changing Mask Procedures, Meanwhile I have COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This week, I got COVID-19 at Penn State for the second time. It was on the heels of “the weekend after THON and before Spring Break,” so I was not being the safest. However, I would say ninety percent of the people I know right now have COVID or at least had confirmed exposure. At the same time I am receiving my diagnosis, I am seeing how the CDC is actively adjusting mask protocol. With this, I think it would be poor timing to change the masking protocol at Penn State. 

The first time I got COVID-19 was in October of 2020. Here is my article where I describe my experience, and how helpful PSU was when I was isolated in the dorms. It was a really different time, as we were still constantly learning about the virus, and no one was vaccinated. Back then, you had to be isolated for ten days. Now, it’s only five and I was able to go home for it. These two instances have been very different, but that’s due to people’s feelings about COVID-19 changing. 

I am fully vaccinated and boostered, so I feel as if I am doing what I can to protect myself. I always wear my mask to class, but in social groups, I do not. However, I was still surprised to see a positive COVID-19 test this spring. It completely ruined my spring break plans, but I can accept responsibility. I think Penn State administration is aware of the student body’s behavior, but they are still considering eliminating masks. 

Even though there are stringent COVID-19 testing procedures for unvaccinated students, Penn State has still not required the COVID-19 vaccine for every staff and student, which still puts many people at risk of exposure. I do not know how they could make the decision to impact everyone who is doing the right thing when there are still students who actively make different decisions that negatively impact public health. 

I want things to go back to normal as well, but I wish my opinion as a student was heard. The majority of my college experience has taken place either behind a screen or with a mask on, but I know that these are decisions that have been made to actually protect the health of myself and others. I feel like rushing this decision to stop wearing masks could potentially impact my ability to continue to go to in-person classes and extracurricular activities. Additionally, I would like to hear the professor’s opinions as well, as their health should not be jeopardized by reckless student behavior. 

As the weather gets warmer in State College, the students get more restless. This leads to increased partying, and the heat alone causes the masks to go below the nose anyway. I feel like Penn State would be making a grave mistake with eliminating masks completely. They are almost at the end of the year, and it would be beneficial to wait until the end of the year to make decisions. At the start of the 2022-2023 school year, there will be more information and science to back up decision-making.

Health Policy and Administration student at Pennsylvania State University.