Penn State Boombox Guy: Brian Cronauer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Name: Brian Cronauer
Class: Senior
Major: Political Science
Fun Fact: Running for President in 2036

Whether you’re walking along Beaver Avenue or on your way to class in Willard, chances are you’ve crossed paths with Brian Cronauer, better known as the “Penn State Boombox Guy.” When he transferred to University Park from Altoona he says he decided to “take the party to the streets.” He can be spotted in his classic leather jacket carrying a giant boombox atop one shoulder always wearing his day-to-day pair of black Ray-Ban Wayfarers. Her Campus got the chance to sit down with the local celebrity and talk about music, motivation and his message to the Penn State campus.

HC: When did you realize that people around campus recognized you as the “Boombox Guy?” How did that recognition feel?
Brian: State Patty’s was pretty much when I became famous. I went to McLanahan’s one day and I was doing some grocery shopping when a guy randomly came up to me and asked, “Are you the Boombox Guy?” I said yes and then he walked back to his friend and said, “Yo, I told you that was Boombox Guy.” Anytime I go to class, a few people will stare me down and then yell, “hey, Boombox Guy! That’s Boombox Guy!” to their friends. I’ll be wearing my signature jacket and girls will start whispering to each other and I’ll say, “yes, I am Boombox Guy” laughing the entire time.

HC: Do you bring your boombox everywhere?
Brian: On the weekends at night I’ll have the boombox with me no matter what—although I might not if it’s raining. When it gets nice out I’ll be outside the HUB just chilling. Sometimes I’ll go for a walk with it, I leave my apartment and walk through Pollock, HUB lawn, Old Main, and then up to East Halls. It’s good exercise— walking and weight lifting; that boombox isn’t light.

HC: Do you entertain at parties on the weekends? If so, how much do you charge?
Brian: I get that question a lot considering I have business cards, which some people are lucky to get from me. I had a guy volunteer to be my agent, Chris Mitchell, but now that he’s in Florida for the semester, I have taken over the e-mail account. But back to the question, I have done a few parties and made a few bucks on the side. I’m not really in it for the money, although if people want to throw me $20-$30, I wouldn’t say no. A guy visiting up here from around Pittsburgh took my business card and asked how much it would cost and then said, “A few hundred?” I’m down with that. Waiting on a phone call this week.

HC: What kind of music did you listen to when you were younger?
Brian: I went through a few phases. I listened to the music we all listened to as kids. On vacations I was introduced to Elton John, Genesis/Phil Collins, and Chuck Mangione, and I still listen to them. As a freshman in high school, I met a guy who one of my teachers called a “long haired hippy freak.” His name was Matt and he introduced me to the ’60s and ‘70s. The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Who, etc. About half way through high school I fell in love with the ‘80s and been there since. I really haven’t changed from when I was a kid.

HC: How has your taste in music developed since attending Penn State?
Brian: It hasn’t changed. I’m still living in the ’80s. I’m an ‘80s kid at heart. I love everything…well mostly everything. Country doesn’t really do it for me and most of today’s music doesn’t really do it for me either. I’ll occasionally find a song today that I can listen to on repeat for a while.  Jay-Z and Kanye did pretty good with ‘Watch The Throne’. I’d pick Ice Cube over Lil Wayne any day. I love ’70s, ‘80s and ‘90s.