Orange Is The New Black: Watch This

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As though Netflix didn’t already have a special place in our hearts, the frequented website has oh-so thoughtfully graced us with the presence of a wholesome and tastefully moral new  “dramedy” (comedy/drama). And when I say wholesome, I mean prisons and lesbians. And when I say tastefully moral, I mean drug dealing. Okay. So maybe it’s not exactly the Brady Bunch per se, but the new Netflix original series Orange is the New Black definitely has people talking. I, for one, can’t. stop. watching.

The show chronicles main character Piper Chapman, a thirty-something blondie who is convicted of a decade old crime of transporting drug-money for her then drug-empress girlfriend. Piper, played by Taylor Schilling, has since changed her ways and has become a much more wholesome and productive member of society.  She’s even engaged to quick-witted writer Larry Bloom, played by Jason Biggs. Hopefully her 15-month sentence doesn’t tear them apart…if so, Netflix will be getting a strongly worded letter from yours truly.

In all seriousness, the show is fantastically written. It’s just the right amount of emotion before it has my knees buckling in hysterics. The well-roundedness of the show is making it a smash hit. Taylor Schilling, whom I’d still call an up-and-comer, is most well known for her female lead in the Nicholas Sparks movie The Lucky One, starring Zac Efron. (Ugh, who could forget that shower scene? He is definitely not Troy Bolton anymore. Swooooon.) I digress. The role honestly feels like it was made for Schilling. She’s exceptionally captivating and pretty convincing as a lesbian drug-dealer turned hand cream-making goody-goody. And don’t even get me started on Jason Biggs. I mean, who doesn’t love Jim from American Pie? Piper and Larry’s relationship alone is enough to keep you watching after one episode.

I do also feel inclined to mention another main character. Laura Prepon plays Piper’s drug-dealing ex girlfriend, Alex, who just so happens to be in the same prison. Yes, I will admit, it’s a little hard to watch Donna from That 70’s Show play a raunchy lesbian. I won’t say some scenes didn’t make me a little squeamish, but Prepon is rocking the socks off that character. She’s totally believable as Alex, and it really is a true testament to her talent as an actress.

If you’re looking to dive into a new series since Breaking Bad has ended (queue tears of withdraw) or you just need another distraction from tedious schoolwork, you will not be disappointed if you choose Orange is the New Black. You can check out the trailer here if this article hasn’t sealed the deal for you, it surely will. It makes me feel like I know what it’s like to be in prison, and it actually doesn’t make it seem that bad… If only television was an accurate depiction of real life.

Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.