An Open Letter To My Baby Sisters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Dear Sistas,   

As the long days go on filled with club meetings, hours in the library and nights that end up being too busy to remember, I find myself missing you two even more. I feel as though you two have so much left to learn, and I can’t possibly give you much advice because being away made me realize how much you both mean to me.

The days of us just lounging in our pajamas discussing our favorite television shows and who we wanted to marry someday seem so silly now. I want to tell you that you can and should cherish this time you have now because nothing will ever be the same after you throw that graduation cap in the air.

I just want you to know this life you are living now with mom making your lunch every morning and dad always making it to your winter concert even though it’s tough is a good life. It’s the life before all the papers, the bad dining hall food, and before you know what a real winter is like. Cherish it. I never realized how much I would miss the family dinners and driving you both around so much. The home-cooked meals go by way too fast especially when mom makes baked ziti and goes a little nuts and makes breakfast for dinner. Please, appreciate her – take into account that she does everything for the both of you.

I want you to remember to not be afraid to be yourself. I am learning so much here in chilly State College, and one of the things I have learned is how much high school relationships and who’s popular and who’s not doesn’t matter at all. It all goes away when you throw the graduation cap in the air and say goodbye to your childhood. So, don’t get fed up on that boy from your math class who doesn’t give you the time of the day because I have been there (unless you need to stalk his house – then wait for me, I’ll go with you). Don’t worry about one test, you’ll get it next time. Don’t care about what other people think about you – it’s your time to be anyone you want to be. Enjoy the lockers and the awkward school dances. It will never be like that again.

Thank you for everything. For making my childhood one for the books, for the pajama parties when we had snow days and for always letting me win when we had karaoke contests.

You both were my first friends, and I’ll always remember growing up with the cutest, most annoying pains but girls I could never imagine my life without. I know it’s tough to keep in contact 280 miles away from each other, but just know I’m only a FaceTime away. So, enjoy this time in your life – it’ll never be the same. Thanks for being you, and don’t forget your big sister knows how you feel and probably went through the same thing. I miss you both more than you know. I even miss when you came into my room without knocking (shocking, I know).

Love always,

Your (favorite) sister

Jacqueline Napolitano is currently a sophomore at Penn State University. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in psychology. She is the head editor to Her Campus Penn State and is loving every second editing articles for the talented writers of Penn State. Her love for everything Buzzfeed and other relatable blogs is what made her want to get in on the action of Her Campus in the fall of 2015. Her experience includes being the Triangle Correspondent for her sorority's magazine, an editorial director for an upcoming book and being the Opinions and Editorial editor for her high school paper. Jacqueline enjoys binge watching every Netflix show from one tree hill to orange is the new black and can recite every episode of friends imagined. She hopes to gain experience in the Public Relations side of Her Campus as well as the writing side. She plans on working in Public Relations or digital journalism for a full time career.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.