Noah Kahan Songs That Feel Like Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s that time of year when the leaves start changing, the air feels a little bit crisper and the feeling of fall consumes our everyday lives. So why not add some music to feed into that fall obsession?

Noah Kahan, a singer-songwriter from Vermont, has become one of the most well-known artists due to his recent album and single releases. His songs perfectly embody the feeling of fall, especially in the Northeast.

As a longtime fan of Kahan, I had my suggestions on which songs I think everyone should add to their fall playlist.

Promo Post from Noah Kahan’s Instagram
The view between villages (extended)

Although the original version of “The View Between Villages” was not extended, I love it. But once the extended version was released, I became obsessed.

This track is about transition and being caught in the different phases of life. I think these themes that Kahan worked into this song perfectly align with the transition to fall.

This extended cut includes clips of people from his hometown of Strafford, VT which adds an extra layer of vulnerability. Plus, the instrumental highlights make it the perfect fall rock song.

anyway

Off of Kahan’s 2020 “Cape Elizabeth” EP is “Anyway.”

I always seem to play this song on a crisp, sunny, fall morning. It’s the perfect song to slow down to and will always be one of my favorites.

Kahan certainly has a way of putting his own experiences into song in the most cinematic way.

Post From Noah Kahan’s Instagram
Young Blood – Acoustic

It feels like any acoustic song should be added to a fall playlist, but this has to be one of my favorite acoustic ballads.

Kahan is the king of folksy-sounding music, so there has always been an element of acoustic to his sound. But this song is the epitome of acoustic.

Noah has stated this song is a letter of hope and encouragement when turning a new page, similar to how the change of season can be an open door to a new adventure. “Young Blood” is the perfect song to listen to on your way to class, cleaning your apartment or simply taking in the fall air.

halloween

I don’t think I could’ve created a fall-themed Noah Kahan playlist without adding “Halloween.”

This song has an eerie touch that makes it even more beautiful. Kahan’s song lyrics truly allow listeners to visualize the story he’s telling.

Definitely a good pick for Halloween fanatics!

A Troubled mind

Of course, I had to add this sone because Kahan’s “Cape Elizabeth” EP is very acoustic.

It’s a more instrumentally upbeat track than others on the EP, but still very “fall-feeling.” Kahan is incredibly experienced with experimenting with instruments in his songs which can be seen in his song, “A Troubled Mind.”

I think his incorporation of the guitar and banjo truly allowed for this song to stick out as one of my favorites.

If We were vampires (feat. wesley schultz)

Although this song is just covered by Noah Kahan and Wesley Schultz, I still think it’s fantastic. Their voices harmonize beautifully, and it gives off the perfect, calm fall day vibe.

The song was originally written by Jason Isbell and the 400 unit, but I think that Kahan and Schultz put an incredible folksy spin on it.

It might be an underrated song of Kahan’s, but definitely one you should check out.

Maine

This is THE song of fall.

I love everything about this song — the guitar, the background of birds and other nature, the calm feeling of it — everything is perfect. “Maine” is one of Kahan’s more popular songs and will always be a favorite of mine.

This song is about accepting change, not only through life but as a person. I think that this theme of change is perfect as we transition into the new season of fall.

This song also pays homage to the state of Maine, which as many know, is one of the best states to truly experience the beauty of the fall season. I like to imagine myself experiencing the crunching leaves under my feet while experiencing Maine’s foliage.

Stick season

I mean, I think this song perfectly sums up the fall vibes we’ve all been striving for.

This song gives the feeling of sitting by the campfire on a chilly fall night, surrounded by pine trees and oak trees dropping their colorful leaves.

In an Interview with Insider, Kahan described “Stick Season” as, “the time between peak foliage and Halloween and the first snow — when all the leaves are off the trees. It’s a time of transition. And it’s super depressing.”

He sure checked off all of those boxes not only with this song but also his entire “Stick Season” album. As someone who currently lives in the northeast, I feel like “Stick Season” perfectly describes the season of fall in the north.

Post from Noah Kahan’s Instagram

Overall, any Noah Kahan song feels like a crisp, fall day but these are some of my favorites. If you become obsessed with him as much as I am, check out his “We’ll All Be Here Forever” Tour happening in 2024!

Allie is a PSU student studying Public Relations & minoring in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Management. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, traveling, reading, and painting!