This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Two years ago, I discovered that my boyfriend intended to study abroad this past fall semester.

Throughout the summer before, I made every effort to spend a lot of time together. However, I soon faced the reality of transitioning from daily hangouts to coping with a 16-hour time difference, knowing we wouldn’t see each other for five months.

You might find yourself in a similar situation, whether your significant other is studying abroad or you’re both heading to different colleges. Despite how daunting it may appear, you’ll get through it.

Here are some tips based on how my relationship made it through this challenging phase.

Communicate

During a long-distance relationship, communication becomes important. One of my major regrets was not discussing communication while my partner was studying abroad. Consider setting a schedule for calls or messages, especially on busy days.

Deciding whether you want daily calls is a personal choice. For my boyfriend and I, we aimed for a weekly call on weekends because of our heavy involvement in school.

Spend this time Away To discover new things

I felt anxious when my boyfriend reached his destination, but I also learned he wouldn’t be glued to his phone. He just wanted to explore where he was studying.

Given our five-year relationship, this meant I had a lot more free time. I decided to explore new activities including cycling, rock climbing, hiking and more.

Don’t give up easily

Long-distance was not something I expected to do.

At times, your partner may be exploring new places without a phone due to poor service or busy immersing themselves in meeting people and joining clubs.

Despite any sense of being overlooked, recognize that they are also adapting to life without your constant presence.

trust

Luckily, I didn’t find this situation too tough because I trusted my boyfriend.

But it’s vital for your partner to keep you updated about their life so you don’t feel left out.

It’s important to be careful and not rush to judge or assume things, especially if it involves interactions with people of the opposite gender.

Talk about your feelings

When you feel distant or upset during phone chats, it’s really important to talk about how you’re feeling. But before you say something, think about it carefully.

Remember, they can’t read your mind over the phone, so make sure what you say won’t make you feel worse.

No matter what you think, time will go by quickly. Even though it was hard at first, I’m glad I got to try new things I wouldn’t have if he hadn’t studied abroad.

Also, try to look on the bright side of things. This distance you may be facing with your partner may seem daunting at first but it’s another challenge that you and and your partner can face together. Challenges are what makes couples stronger.

It’s also a great learning experience for you and your partner’s future. Sometimes life gets complicated, but it’s the people who stick with you through the troubles and persevere that are important.

Be grateful. You are learning and maturing with distance.

Feel your emotions; you’ll miss them, but it will get easier.

Hi! My name is Yesenia Rodriguez, and I am a senior at Penn State University. Currently, I am a Psychology major and minoring in Communications. In my free time, I like to read and watch reality tv shows.