Career

My top three mindfulness podcasts for being in your 20s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

To be perfectly honest, I used to dislike podcasts. I would always think that they were boring, and I would rather be listening to music. However, as a stressed out college student, I have found that while walking around on a vast college campus or simply the treadmill, it can be very soothing to pop in your AirPods and turn on a podcast.

While music is another form of therapy, there is something about getting so immersed in the words of a podcast that simultaneously takes your mind off of whatever else is going on in your life, and also makes the time you’re walking fly by. Coming from a somewhat “directionless” college student, I have found it both helpful and reassuring to listen to mindfulness podcasts, specifically geared towards those in their 20s.

As a daily podcast listener, here are my top three podcasts this semester:

1. Anything Goes by Emma Chamberlain

This will forever be my favorite podcast. While sometimes she talks about the most seemingly minute and mundane topics, I have found each and every episode absolutely riveting. She shares the best life advice I have ever heard from a 20 year old, and turns small topics into life lessons. I absolutely love this podcast. There is something so soothing about listening to Emma describe the latest fashion trends, explain things going on in her life and provide simple advice. 

Perhaps the most alluring thing about Anything Goes is how relatable Emma is. It is calming to listen to someone who is so successful at such a young age deal with the same things that we all do, making her podcast personable and a great listen. This podcast has fully convinced me that she and I would be best friends in real life. 

1. On My Mind with Ava Jules

Ava has always been a comforting character through YouTube, and she recently brought this to Spotify through her podcast, On My Mind. I will be the first to admit, I was never one to watch Ava Jules on YouTube. However, I have found myself really enjoying On My Mind.

While it is similar in style to Anything Goes, Ava provides a more introspective view on her life, and gives advice by talking about what she is going through, such as feeling in a rut or making the most out of bad situations.

If you need more uplifting listens, she also has a series of hilarious episodes where she reads juicy stories and dirty secrets from her listeners. She has even brought on guests who are entrepreneurs to share their experiences.

Her focus on relating to a younger generation, specifically those in their 20s, makes her a relatable and comforting listen. 

1. Busy, Yet Pretty by Jadyn Hailey

Although slightly less relatable than the other two podcasts I’ve mentioned, Jadyn provides helpful reminders to not forget to take care of yourself and organize both your mind and your life while maintaining a busy lifestyle. It is especially helpful for those in their 20s who, like myself, often forget to take care of themselves while tackling a busy life at college. 

Jadyn shares her favorite advice on beauty essentials and confidence, and discusses balance. She relates all of this to keeping your mind and body “pretty,” while going through your life. I love how she always discusses her goal of the week, and encourages people to write in a five minute journal to organize their mind. 

I highly recommend this podcast for motivated students who are looking to “girlboss” their way through college in a healthy and happy way.

Happy listening!

Junior at Penn State University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Business, and Entrepreneurship.