My State Patty’s Weekend in Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

So this year was my first real State Patty’s weekend at Penn State University.

My freshman year, COVID was still a major issue come February, and last year I was very sick through State Patty’s weekend. So this really was my first year where I got the opportunity to celebrate the notroious holiday like normal. 

If you don’t know what State Patty’s is, it is always celebrated the weekend between THON and spring break and is when Penn State students tend to hold their Saint Patrick’s Day themed festivities. 

Basically, it is a weekend full of hopping from place to place and wearing all green.

My friends and I had been looking forward to this weekend for a while as we hadn’t really been able to go out during the few weekends before. So we knew we wanted to make it a weekend to remember.

We decided we would stay in Friday night in order to be well rested for the most lively day of State Patty’s weekend, which is Saturday.

Saturday morning, my roommates and I got up bright and early at 8:30 a.m., which was a serious struggle for me as I really haven’t had to get up that early in weeks.

After an hour or so of doing our hair, makeup and picking out the perfect green outfit to wear, we decided to start our day with some bagels from downtown in order to feel energized enough for the long day ahead.

Once our bellies were full, we kicked off the holiday at our friend/neighbor’s apartment. This was a nice, chill way to start the day as we all just got to catch up with each other for about an hour or so.

After this, we headed to our other friend’s darty (day party) in his backyard. We spent the next few hours here, again just talking to each other and keeping ourselves entertained.

Eventually my friends and I decided to get food and come back to our apartment to rest before we went out again at night. Unfortunately though, the day had been pretty tiring already and we ended up going to bed at around 8.

Overall I had a really good time just hanging out with my friends all day. The energy was really good, as this was a weekend Penn State students look forward to all year.

However, for next year there are some things I would do differently. 

Mainly I will probably try to take a nap at some point in the middle of the day. Being completely worn out by the time night came around was not something I initially planned on happening.

I’ll also make sure to remember to eat lunch, as that middle of the day meal completely slipped my mind as I was so preoccupied through the whole day. I think adding that meal into the day would’ve really helped me keep my energy up for later.

One thing I was initially worried about that ended up being no issue for me was the cold. I ended up being bundled up enough that the February weather didn’t bother me at all.

So all in all, I’d say I had a good State Patty’s and me and my friends succeeded in making it a weekend to remember.

hi! i'm a junior advertising major with minors in photography and dmta at psu:)