sleep aid products hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sleep aid products hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith
Wellness

My Nighttime Routine Necessities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I am an extraordinarily regimented person when it comes to my nighttime routine. I cannot fall asleep if I skip any of the steps of my routine, as they all genuinely complete me. If you don’t have a set nighttime routine, here is some inspiration with what I do to wind down each night.

Warm Shower 

I have to take a warm shower every night. This calms me down, as it is an easy way to relieve stress for me, and it lets me wash away the day’s worries. Also, it is a signal to my body that it is time to begin to wind down for the night. 

The shower is also where I do my skincare routine. I do not have a super intricate routine, but I just use Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser, which is a gentle foaming cleanser. I also put a little eye cream around my eyes, because they occasionally get dry at night. 

Full Water Bottle 

I always fill up my Hydro Flask before I go to bed. It is important for me to start my day hydrated, so I always fill up the night before so it’s ready in the morning. Starting your morning right is the foundation for a good day, so it is best to start preparing at night. 

Hair Care  

When it comes to my hair, I am not really a fussy person. During the day, it accumulates a lot of knots. To get rid of them, I always brush my hair out after my shower. Personally, I still wash my hair every night, even though there is more and more criticism for that practice. 

Take My Birth Control 

Self explanatory, but take your birth control at your designated time. Personally, I always take my birth control at night. It is extra important to take it at the same time, so stay safe ladies. 

Clean my Retainer 

I am an adamant retainer wearer. After years of chronic headaches, my orthodontist and I discovered it was because I grind my teeth while I sleep. With this, I started wearing a mouthguard retainer.

The only thing is that it becomes a little gross, so I clean it with a denture cleaner. This is absolutely the most necessary thing in my routine. It makes me feel clean and calm knowing I am practicing good dental health before bed. 

Take Melatonin 

Melatonin has been a part of my routine since high school. Melatonin is a gummy that helps calm your body down at night, which helps you sleep more conducively. At this point, I truly think it is a placebo effect, but I still take it because my routine does not feel complete without it. 

Watch ASMR 

During college, I have found it increasingly difficult to fall asleep. To combat this, I have discovered how soothing ASMR can be to fall asleep.

There is a lot of criticism towards ASMR, as many people find it unsettling. All I can say is that if it helps me sleep, I am all for it. 

Doing these few short tasks every night is extremely helpful for balancing my routine. Having a structured process really helps relax me, so I get the most restful sleep possible. Overall, it is important to take care of ourselves after a long day, and nighttime necessities are a great way to practice self care.

Health Policy and Administration student at Pennsylvania State University.