This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Senior year. Ah. We finally rule the school. That feeling of “we made it” seems further and further the more I drown in school work.

Although it is a time full of pure fun and chaos, I can only help but feel weighed down by the large amounts of school work I face.

What is it with professors and all these assignments?

As a student at Penn State for four years now, I have never endured such large amounts of work before. Granted, I was always the friend who had more school work than my friends from home at different schools. But once I got to senior year, it skyrocketed.

It was like a whole new world opened up. Not the best kind either.

People were using words like capstone, jobs, applying, postgrad, rent. I couldn’t handle it.

Why does everything have to change so quickly? And drastically.

LET’S TALK ABOUT SOMETHING I LOVE ABOUT SENIOR YEAR

As we approach the end of an era, it only feels necessary to go out with a bang. The summer before my senior year, I promised myself I would not say no to any plans this up coming school year (within reason of course).

I wanted to make the most of my last time here as a student. It just wouldn’t feel the same coming back and visiting as it does being a student now.

The sentiment and nostalgia that fills the air of each breath I take is deafening. Everything I do feels important and feels like I am making a core memory with my friends.

Because my friends and I know everything is going to be so different this time next year, we make sure we celebrate every holiday and success to its fullest potential.

Whether this means hanging balloons for your roommate’s 21st birthday, eating cake to celebrate that A+ on the exam or simply hanging out that extra hour just to squeeze in more time with one another.

College is the time where you find your second family in a place thats is home away from home. Creating these memories is special, and realizing these memories are quickly come to a close is heartbreaking, yet beautiful.

Something that people don’t tell you about your senior year of college is your new profound ability to feel.

I finally feel for my mom when she complained about the dirty dishes in the sink. I feel the sadness of living long distance from loved ones. I feel the love of friends turning into family. I feel the struggles of living on my own.

It hits you like a wave, all at once.

Senior year is 80% the unknown and 20% knowing what is actually going on. You don’t need to have it figured out, even if your Instagram feed is full of everyone receiving job offers.

Senior year is a detrimental time to say the least. It is humbling and exhilarating, yet extremely difficult.

We will never get this time back again.

Here’s to the unknown. Here’s to senior year.

Emily Gladu is a fourth-year studying Advertising and Business at Penn State University. In her free time, you will find Emily watching any Philadelphia sports team or catching a flight to her next adventure! She loves to catch up on the latest fashion trends & discover new music!